2002 kia spectra wont start

20

Asked by Feb 19, 2015 at 01:44 AM about the 2002 Kia Spectra Base

Prior to my car dying I was told that my
starter would soon need to be changed.

I was driving down the road (30-40 mph)
and the car just died on me. It made no loud
noises it just quietly died, in fact I didn't
notice until I had put my foot down to
accelerate again. After my car died it
wouldn't start up at all, it made this whirring
noise like something was rapidly spinning
but, it didn't sound anywhere close to
starting up.
I changed my starter since I assumed that
was the problem but after I changed the
starter and tried to restart my car the
whirring noise had only gotten louder and
the car still wouldn't start. I asked around
and was told that my timing belt needs to
be changed but I want to make sure before
pay lots of money to fix it.

Not sure if this helps at all but before the
car died it had problems idling, at least I
think that was the problem, when I would
come to a stop the car would shake
excessively but when I put it from drive to
neutral it would quiet down.
Please help.

1,145

Does your engine try to turn over when you try to start the car? The excessive shaking in drive when you would come to a stop you felt is due to broken motor mounts

20

When i try to start the car i only get a spinning sound. It doesn't click. I don't know how to explain it without showing someone but it doesn't even sound like its close to starting. Kind of like it spins but doesn't catch anything to to crank

1,145

Then I would take the starter off and have it bench tested at a parts store like advance auto parts. You could have a sticking or faulty solenoid on the starter. Check the starter relay to make sure it is not sticking. Make sure your battery has a full charge, it should have at least 12.5 volts.

Best Answer
20

I will do that thank you. Any ideas of what it might be if not that? And any idea as to why it died on me? I didn't think a bad starter would make your car die.

20

My starter works and my Betsy is charged but i still get the same result when trying to start it

15

think you need to get the two ignition coil to see if they are given off they high-voltage. also the excessive shaking might be the motor mounts they may need to be replaced or tighten the screws.

20

Is there any way to test them or do i just have to replace them? Also after messing with things in the car i now cant get the car out of park :( please help.

15

you may want to use this website to help you do the test,but for me being a lady I had the nearest mechanic man to do the test. http://www.wikihow.com/Test-an-Ignition-Coil For your car being stuck in park. When this happens, because it is so annoying, the first reaction is to use brute force to move the shifter. Do not do this... it won't work and you may damage or break the shifter or shifter cable, which will surely add to your problem. Follow these 4 simple steps. 1. Set the emergency brake. 2. Locate the shifter lock override slot located on the shifter console near the shifter lever. Normally, the slot is plugged with a small plastic cap. 3. Remove the plastic cap covering the override slot and insert a key, nail file or similarly shaped object into the slot and push down. 4. While pushing down, depress the brake pedal, grab the shifter and push in the shifter lock button located on the shifter as you normally do and then move the shifter to the Neutral position. With the brake pedal still depressed, start the engine with the shifter in the Neutral position.

What was the final result?