Timing belt broke and melted. Also water pump broke at the same time.

60

Asked by Jun 22, 2013 at 09:16 AM about the 2002 Kia Sedona EX

Was told price to fix is around $800. Bad news is that the valves could be bent but will not know that till we fix the timing belt and water pump. What are the chances of the engine working ? Sure hate to spend $800 and then find out I need a new engine.

Kia engines are "interference engines.” The valves may interfere with the pistons if valve timing is off.

none chance-

Agreed. You will not need to spend $800 to find out. We can tell you that free. Sorry, don't mean to sound unsympathetic ...it hurts, I know. We are messengers.

The first generation Sportage (1994-2002) with 2 liter DOHC was not interference. All other Kia's are. Look at this page: http://www.interferenceengines.com/kia.html .......for a list

I think that perhaps Kia is getting a little ambitious putting these Engines onto the American market, where people DO NOT maintain their cars as they should, but simply buy another one....sadly in this light there will be no accountability...and the producers of the Kia are well aware of the temporal nature of the product....in short, you get what you pays for~

I honestly cannot understand how a timing belt could melt (hey that rhymes) they are not poly, but butyl---and would smoke...quite a bit before bursting into flame....

They are probably engineered to break immediately after warranty runs out

you could put a new belt on there (not too much money) and see if when lined to the proper marks will still act like an engine....would be quite surprised as a Honda timing belt was off by ONE tooth and it wrecked the motor on a timing belt I did (my first timing belt job)....these things are touchy at the outset...even when things are correct (again rhyme)~

Judge, please define 'not too much money'....DIY is the price of the belt, granted...but labor if not DIY? don't forget about the water pump

this engine? click on it and it will be readable

then we have this

60

Also I was shown that the idler pulley needs to be replaced, bearings were falling out. Crankshaft sprocket was damaged. I think my wife was driving awhile when this all happened, found her on the highway with the ignition still on.

my goodness...write this one off for scrap and buy a TOYOTA...these cars are almost cocky with confidence...and to be honest my Toy should have died a few times already but will not die...I think it was the British Top Gear that had a toyota pickup they were trying to kill and it would not die~ H25 knows the Toyotas will NEVER let you down~

yeah mister...snowball effect, try'n piece together after a destructive catastrophe...maybe oil will start leakin' now...a lot of maybes could be solved by simply getting rid of the Kia altogether...not to impose my beliefs on you right now but these cars are NOT proven...and seem to be not on the path of proving themselves either...picky picky picky~

I will vouch for that. Toyota engineering tolerances have no peers. Yep, she drove it 'till it wouldn't roll another inch it seems, eh? At least one of my images survived the reviewers. Funny thing is they always say my images were deleted because 'inappropriate language' like I say here is a $%^$@ing engine

60

Thanks for all the advice. Its going to the junk yard.

if the seats and dashboard and most things are still okay would as at least $100 for it~(in 2013 dollars...not that much)~

...sadness...