car will crank but not start

65

Asked by Jan 24, 2016 at 05:21 PM about the 1999 Ford Taurus SE

The car cranks but wont start I have check for fuel pressure and its good I cleaned the mass air flow sensor and charged battery *it is less than a year old* also have checked the fuel pump shut off in the trunk! not sure on how to test for spark without the tester. agr is fine and cleaned! I check fuse 10 witch is for the fuel pump ignition coil! not sure where to go from here?

100,345

you don't really need a tester to check for spark, just unplug the coil wire from the coil and crank it over, you should be able to see if it throws a spark down the tower of the coil to ground. if no spark then you need a test light to check for a trigger signal and power to the coil, if I was to guess as it is a Ford the most common is the ignition module.

65

humm I shall go try that ill let you know how it works out

10

I have the same problem we replaced the fuel pump BT still nothing I was told it could be a coolant sensor is that true

100,345

Doubtful, never heard of a coolant sensor causing a no start.

20

Any luck with this issue? Mine is doing the same thing

20

1999 Taurus same issue. Changed the coil pack, plugs and plug wires. No change. Starter fluid in the intake and no change. Makes me think it's not a fuel supply issue.

My car will crank but won't start when I take off jumper cables and it dies instantly

100,345

Noahdreisbach98 So let me get this right, it will start and run with jumper cables attached, but when you remove them it just dies. So that tells me that you have for sure a charging problem, but you may also have a bad battery, cause it should pull about 50% charge from the jumper battery or box, so that will keep the engine running for a short period of time. So you need to get the battery recharged and checked if it is bad replace it, then you can move onto checking the charging system. make sure the alt light turns on when you turn on the key, if it don't then it needs fixed as it is part of the activation circuit for the alternator, after that start the engine and measure the voltage at idle, it should be around 14.2 to 14.8 volts, if not replace the alternator. There maybe other problems but you didn't state year make or model so I went with a generic testing.

No it doesn't start at all it just cranks i tried keeping jumping cabels hooked up to start it but it just cranks

100,345

Okay, so now you need to find out if it is fuel or spark related, unfortunately you will need a hot battery, after that is taken care of, then get some starting fluid and spray some into the air intake and crank it over if it sputters and tries to run then it is fuel related, so then you need to test for proper fuel pressure and delivery, if it doesn't sputter then it is spark related, check for power on the ignition coil on one connector and for a trigger signal on the other connector when you crank the engine, if you have both and no spark then replace the ignition coil, if you don't have power check for a blow fuse, bad ignition switch or broken power wire, if you don't have a trigger signal, then replace the ignition module and distributor pickup assembly, now you should have a trigger signal and spark when cranking, now it should fire and run. HTH

Okay thank you I am going to try that

10

I got a 2001 Ford Taurus I got no spark I changed coil pack crank sensor temp sensor cam shaft sensor still no spark what else is there I can I do

10

I'm having the same issue with my 98 taurus,turns over but won't start.Sprayed air intake with starter fluid and it almost started.Just had fuel filter replaced and fuel pump is clicking on when key is turned.Seems to be good fuel pressure,its squirting out of the test valve.