Kia rio overheated out of the blue, could that have blown my engine?

Katt Pie

Asked by Apr 20, 2015 at 10:02 PM about the 2003 Kia Rio Cinco

I pulled over immediately after I noticed I was losing power, towed it to closest
mechanic who called a couple hours later to tell me my engine blew. This is an 03 with
70k on it, has perfect maintenance records. How can this be??

When you started loosing power it was already too late, the damage was done, it's hard to say how bad without being there, but Kia's aren't very forgiving, so expect the worst.

As far as your question, how can this be? I have seen a lot of Kia engines blow a head gasket around your mileage, in your I think that is what happened and it consumed all your coolant and fried the engine. You could have been overzealous with the maintance, and the gasket would still blow out. HTH

Best Answer
Katt Pie

Thank you for your help. So the head gasket can just blow with no warning signs whatsoever?

Kia's, Mitsubishi's, seem to be the worst in my area, I have heard that Saturn and Mazda also will just up and blow but I have not seen this happen with then without something else causing the problem.

Katt Pie

Since I don't have a trustworthy mechanic, can you tell me if there's anything that be done, besides replacing the engine? I've had an intrepid seize on me last December but it was no surprise, in that case when I looked in the oil reservoir it was orangish and foamy. The Kias oil looks fine. I've had this car less then a month and it's perfect inside and out, I bought it from a 93 yr old who simply can't drive anymore. I had it towed to tires plus and the guy simply said the overheating caused a lot of damage and the engine seized. The car had just been inspected in February and I bought it in March (?) Thanks again any help is appreciated.

As Ii can't see it for myself it is hard to give you much advise, but if the engine is seized then the only recourse is to replace the engine, if you don't want to buy a new one then look around for a good low mileage used one from a wrecking yard, a lot of yards will have a warranty on good engines, but that is only for the part not the labor for R&R. But find a good shop that has the equipment to work on your car,not a tire store. One that is certified is a plus. HTH