a/c compressor

Asked by Jul 10, 2011 at 12:32 PM about the 2003 Kia Rio Base

The a/c is blowing warm air, I can't hear the compressor engage. I looked at it and it looks like it has a isolated ground coming by the fly wheel to where the 12 volt power wire clamps down on the top of the compressor. If it is a isolated ground i take it that it has to be reconnected right? also there is no power on the other wire (the one where it actually goes to the compressor).. I checked all fuses and the relays and they seem fine.. So question is, is it a isolated ground? is that a 12 volt line going to the compressor, and even if the ground is re-attached would that activate the power to the compressor? Sorry for long winded message. This is on a 2003 Kia Rio LS . 1.5 liter motor. ... Thank you in advance for some valid input.

"anyone?" is an insipid remark, not an answer. For power to be 'sent' to the compressor the engine has to be running and the pressure switch on the receiver-drier has to be in a 'closed' state, which occurs when there is sufficient refrigerant pressure in the system. Jumping the two pins in the harness connector of the switch will activate the relay which powers the clutch coil. The drier is under the washer fluid bottle.

Your AC compressor does not need an extra ground. It is grounded through it's brackets to the engine block. Probably has a leak and there is no refigerant in the system so, as stated above, the clutch will not engage.

He's talking about the ground wire for the clutch, Sarge.

You are correct. I looked up the pic on Google and it has a clutch ground that goes right to the top ov the compressor.

my compressor won't engage

what can I do?

??I don't see any answers?? See my previous post up there ^^^ about jumping the pins on the pressure switch. This can be done with a paper clip. If the compressor clutch engages, with the engine running, either you're low on pressure or the switch is bad. If the compressor clutch still won't engage listen for the relay to click when you jump the switch. Most of the relays are the same, if the relay isn't clicking MARK THE ONE FOR THE AC BEFORE YOU REMOVE IT, then swap it for another that runs something you know works.