Would the temp of the cad.. converter have anything to do with the temperature of the car?

Asked by Aug 31, 2012 at 11:57 PM about the 1999 Ford Taurus LX

All the sudden the car started running  bad. The service engine soon light began blinking. We have
changed spark plugs and wires. Coil pack, along with fuel filter and no change. Tonight we noticed that
the exhaust manifold was glowing. What could this be? Thank you

236,905

Did you pull the codes as to why the SES light is on? That might point you in the right direction. A glowing exhaust manifold is usually due to unburt fuel getting into the exhaust.

18,205

This is actually sign of a clogged catalytic converter when paired with driveablity problems. Let me ask you, if you rev your car in neutral does it bog down and a certain low rpm like 2-3k? If so this is your problem. The other problem know to cause a glowing manifold is a severe lean condition. Usualy found on older carburated cars but can still happen. Shouldnt cause any drivability issues tho.

35

A glowing exhaust manifold can also be attriuted to "High Speed Lean Out". Had a F-350 that had to be shut down, because it was so over heated. Also I would checl Ths Converter automatically, being plugged could be the reason for both the Check engine light and running so badly

1,525

so back to the codes, if you can get to an autozone or just find out what the codes are usually it's not a good thing when the ses light flashes while you are driving it usually means you just set a code, but if your cat is clogged it will bog down my truck when my cat was plugged it bogged down at about 2500 to 3k rpms and it sucked because that mug couldn't make it up an on ramp at over 40 it just had no guts.