Had both belts on my 2004 changed. Now squealing at start up.

20

Asked by Oct 14, 2014 at 08:24 AM about the 2004 Kia Rio Cinco

Had both belts changed- they would squeal at start up. The shop tried chalk. Didn't work. Took it back- they changed the belts again. Still squealing at start up until I get to about 20mph. Then if I stop at a light they start squealing again until I reach about 20mps. It's about 20 miles to work- mostly interstate. By the time I get to work the squealing has stopped even at lights. Seems to be more sensitive to heat and humidity. Shop where I had them installed says they are tightened properly. This racket is driving me crazy! Not to mention embarrassing in traffic! The old belts were not squealing before I had them replaced. Any suggestions?

45

OK that has a serpentine belt with an auto tensioner. You have an extra load somewhere causing the belt to slip. It could be a bad battery causing the alternator to work harder or it could be a power steering pump going bad causing the same thing. It could also be a worn bearing in one of the idler pulleys or the tensioner its self could be worn out. Here are a few ways to check and eliminate a few of these things. Next time you drive the car and it squeals make a note if you are driving straight or turning a corner. If its straight then we can pretty much rule out the power steering. After that we will look at the alternator. When you are driving and it starts to squeal turn off anything that uses electricity. i.e. heater blower rear defrost, headlights if its safe. If the squealing stops then you need to get your charging system checked.

20

After they changed the belts the 2nd time my water pump went bad. Changed that and the timing belt. At times I can actually hear both belts squealing,(it has two) one has a higher pitch than the other, I have noticed it squeal sometimes when I turn a corner (power steering) and the other belt (AC?) almost always when loaded. Why did the old belts not squeal but the new ones do? I am thinking you are right- maybe the tensioner or bearings in the idler pulley. At 144k though, I have had very little trouble. I just want it to quiet down! Thanks!

247,525

Most probably one or some of the pulleys. They usually last around 80K.

Best Answer

That's just a via Rio for ya dude... I have one, it all depends on the humidity, temperature, your habits if its a stick, lots of factors.