What would cause my truck to not have much power and the oil pressure gauge act erratic

Asked by Mar 27, 2017 at 09:57 PM about the 1978 Chevrolet C/K 10 Custom

I have a 78 K10 with a 350 in it. When i first bought it, it would cut out and die when you put it under a load (accelerate quick or going up hill). I changed the plugs and wires which were really bad and that problem went away. however, it still doesn't have much power when going uphill or with quick acceleration. I've got an 82 K10 also with the same motor in it and it has way more power. Also, when I first start the truck up the oil pressure gauge reads 60 and once the truck is warmed up (after maybe 15 mins of driving it then it drops to 30) and then it drops to 15 to 0 and will continue fluctuating from 15 to 0 unless I come to a stop. If I come to a stop with the motor just idling it will stay between 15 and 30. It does leak a little oil but is not knocking or ticking. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance!!

76,625

With a truck that old it could be a lot of things. Maybe the engine is tired. I would check the compression, the ignition timing and replace the cap and rotor. The oil pressure issue could be from wear but if you have not changed the oil and filter lately I would do that and change out the oil pressure sending unit.

Thanks a lot...really appreciate your help. I've only had the truck for a few weeks and it does need an oil change. I just havn't gotten around to doing it with my work schedule. The truck runs and drives great other then the power issue. And once you get it up to speed you would never know there was a power issue. Thanks again!