Automatic transmission will not shift after engine swap

80

Asked by May 20, 2014 at 06:34 PM about the 1978 Chevrolet C/K 10 Custom

After installing and used motor in my 1979 Chevy pickup the automatic transmission will not shift out of first gear I have checked the kickdown linkage and the vacuum lines but still out of luck, any ideas

3,165

Isn't there a switch on pedal for shift release or on ing switch check All fuses safety Switch neutral maybe un pluged or broken wire

80

There is no switch on the pedal. There is a button switch on the carburetor not sure if that is for the transmission???

3,165

I think the shift linkage and crossed when he loosened it try to twist the rod and tighten it ,twist the rod shift by hand I remember they get kinked When loosened Turn shift rod tighten try again Let me know

80

It will shift into drive just fine. It will go in first gear only. I'm guessing it is either the vacuum line or transmission governor. Will check for vacuum . And go from there

3,255

make sure your fluid level is not over full or low , 350 trannys are picky about correct fluid level ... check the modulator valve

80

Found out the transmission governor was stuck free that up works great

3,255

must have sat for a while ... good job ,glad everything worked out !!