How do replace the interior door opening cable?

Asked by Jan 09, 2011 at 04:04 PM about the 2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5

The cable has broken at the beginning of the interior drivers door handle. I see
how to install the new cable there. What I can't figure out is what to do where the
other end meets the latch on the inside of the door.

Todd Warnke

Trying to do the same thing. Where did you get the cable. I can't find one anywhere.

Christina Ruggiero

I think I have the same problem with my car. The driver-side interior door latch is broken and have to open the window to let myself out of the car from the outside. Any suggestions would be helpful for me too!

Christopher Taza

I believe that the cable is part of the door latch assembly on the Spectra. If you can get just the cable you'd most likely have to remove the black plastic covers of the latch assembly after pulling it from the door. Best of luck.

I have the same problem. Did you get yours fixed?

Cables on Ebay average $30-35, but I found one for $13 on Ebay. Keep looking! I had to send my VIN to be sure it would fit, waiting now for a reply. Just got tired of having to roll the window down to get out of the car.

It is a down right shame they make the cable ending for the Kia door latch out of week pot metal. There are so many out there that have this problem of having to open the window to get out. What happens if in an accedent car has no power and you are not able to open your window and or door souly because that cheap part will not allow you. In a life threatening emergency this will be beyond bad. The people out there with this problem need a vidio to help in fixing this problem. How about this KIA you are endangering lives out there because of your cheap short cuts. Thanx for the shaft KIA.