loud screeching noise

45

Asked by May 07, 2011 at 05:35 PM about the 1990 Jeep Cherokee 4 Dr Laredo 4WD

Hello, so I have this high pitch screeching noise that sounds like it is coming from the right side of my motor. When I accelerate it gets even louder and even persists when I am idling in park. Any Ideas? I am having some piston problems as well, the notorious clicking noise coming from the motor. I was told that it would work it-self out after awhile from a mechanic but that seemed like BS.

735

Sounds like you need a new belt

1,305

the 4.0s are very famous for the slight clicking. they use flat tappet cams and require large amounts of zinc or zddp to operate correctly. try an oil change with 10w30 Mobile One high mileage. that has the zinc the 4.0 needs. and use a decent oil filter. like a wix (napa gold) bosch, k&n or champion. dont even try the fram crap. not worth risking problems. oh and your mechanic saying that it would work itself out is BS you were right to assume so. I agree with whats said above the screeching is definitely the serpentine belt. pull it off and check for fraying on the edges. if it is not frayed then you may have a pulley that needs replacing. most likely the idler pulley, that one has been known to go more than others. if you need info on removing the belt just ask.

45

thanks a million for the info man, I was hoping the problem might be an easy fix. I am glad I came to this site!

45

Hello again, I was considering getting a Gatorback belt and wanted to see if it is worth the extra money? If what are the effective, and outside lengths, and number of ribs? on my V6 inline 4.0?