My gas gauge doesn't work on my 91 jeep sahara with only 24,000 miles

Asked by Aug 07, 2014 at 02:11 AM about the 1991 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

I replaced fuel pump and relay switch and my gas gauge still isn't working. Firestone store told me it would work after replacing those, also it would sometimes not start. It's been 6 months it works fine but gas gauge still doesn't work. Is there something they forgot to do?

20

Maybe it's the gauges it's self get it checked out again

25,335

NOOOOOOOOO! not firestone again- the fuel pump has nothing to do with a gauge- c'mon- except that they could have just replaced the sender- the sender senses the fuel level and sends a signal to the gauge- that's it- simple- find a good mechanic- give him money- it will save you money, overall-

I know what you mean about Firestone, let me explain, for about 6 months the jeep would sometimes start other times no, we thought it was when it rained that proved to be wrong, anytime it was doing it. I was driving on to quantico base, had to shut it off at the gate to get my i.d. out, it wouldn't start, so I have Good Sam, they said I had to have it towed to their closest shop on their network, if towed home, they wouldn't tow it again. So not knowing when it was going to start or not, thought ok let it be towed there. The next day they said fuel pump, but the only fuel pump they could get would not be able to make gauge work, so my husband understood what they was talking about, so called our friend at a dodge dealership found one in NY, could have it the next day, got it they put it on gas gauge still didn't work next day went out, wouldn't start, after about 5 days tried it, it started, drove it to firestone on quantico base. get a call its the relay switch. I saw in my paperwork of previous owner, fuel pump was put on at 18,000 miles. I bought it with 21,000. I have 24,500 miles, so I wonder if they even changed fuel pump, I am going to have a friend drop fuel tank see if its the fuel pump we bought or the other one put on at 18,000 miles. So that's my story and my friend checked for wire off of gauge. So what do you think? I sure appreciate your time in giving me your answers. Soooo nice. Suzanne

25,335

woah- so there's a firestone on base? that's a good excuse- here's some observations- 1) if it's running/starting that's the important part- 2) nice that they discovered the relay and fixed it- 3) they have a Firestone on base? ok- 3) I did not know I was writin' and conversin' with Marines- thanks for your service- it is always surprising finding out on this blog who is on the other end of the communications, along with trying to give advice, always risky, I have stepped in it a few times by getting funny at inappropriate times- 4) I still don't understand how there can be 2 kinds of fuel pumps, (!?) one that makes a gas gauge work- 5) sad that the tank has to be dropped to get to the fuel pump, but I would not go to that trouble just to check the pump, hey! it's workin' 6) drop the tank ONLY to check the sender, that's where it is- 7) that is a cool jeep with low mileage 8) maybe you could get somebody to cut an access port to that fuel sender/fuel pump, that would be customizin' your jeep, but it would be a cool addition, maybe you could get a friend on base who works with Harrier jets to do a slick job for you- 9) wish I could help more, but I'm way over here, thrashin' around in cyber-space, and it sounds like you got lotsa Marines to help you out, anyway- good luck!

105

I have an 89 Wrangler. My gas gauge didn't work either. I tried everything and ended up buying the whole aftermarket gauge cluster with gauges. Took about 15 minutes to install. $180. It was worth it to me.

40

I agree with Jamnblues, sounds like it could be the sender or the float. A new float and sender valve is not that much and when I replaced mine it fixed my gas guage problem.