Cracked Windshield

20

Asked by GuruT9WQ7 Jun 09, 2018 at 10:22 AM about the 2017 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD

Has anyone had their windshield crack for no reason? I have a one year old
Honda CR-V with 24K mile on it. All of a sudden, I have 3 small cracks, 1 to 3
inches long, at the bottom of the passenger side. The dealer will not cover it
and they want $1,665 to replace it. I appealed to Honda and got the same
answer.

100

My 2017 CRV has 15,000 kms on it and my windshield cracked there when I dropped the wiper blade on it after cleaning the window. Got the same answer from Honda.

50

Ust noticed my front windshield is cracked? It is garaged. There is no damage

30

2017 honda civic coupe windshield cracked when I dropped the wiper blade on it like you did I showed where a bit of metal/very hard plastic matched where the windshield had chipping and point of crack staring. windshield was replaced by dealer as a customer courtesy

80

Hi there! I am having the same problem with my Honda CRV 2017. It was bought new last September. Crack appeared from the top down, on the passenger side. I had it replaced, not by the dealer. Now, two weeks later, there is another crack from the bottom up. Some instability in the way the car is designed? What a hassle!

240

I just bought a 2018 CR V EXL and JUST made my first payment (has 1,200 miles on it) and guess what? My windshield cracked there when I dropped the wiper blade on it after cleaning the window. So GuruT3RM8 you are not alone. I see a recall coming down the pike. The 2017 and 2018 CRV models are exactly the same, yet the OEM windshields are on back order. Yep, this model has been out for two years and the OEM windshields are on back order and the dealer has NO IDEA when they will be available.So save all of your receipts, insurance claim numbers and what you payed out of pocket for deductibles. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING, dates, service writer names, work missed, any and all expenses. You WILL see a recall on this!

80

My windshield just cracked (when turning on windshield defrost)when we had freezing weather. Recall should be issued..or a service campaign.

70

We have a new 2017 CRV ( Australia) washed the car in 35 deg heat 2 hours later a great big crack from top to centre Passenger side can be seen - as an engineer the only explanation to this is stress caused by bad design where any small shock to glass (temperature or impact) will result in crack/s forming, Honda have a lot explaining to do - dealer has rejected any claim or responsibility

80

I had the same problem with my 2018 honda cr v. It's cracked on the driver side about half way up on the edge. I keep it in the garage so I was surprised when I got in this morning to find a 4 inch crack. It has been very cold here but yesterday the temps were in the 40's. I was hoping Honda or dealership would replace it but it looks like I'll be wasting my time.

279,525

Extreme cold is a reason!

80

Nope! Mine happened in October, when we are not having a cold snap or temperature swings.

60

I have a Honda CRV 2017, bought it in 2017 of Sept. I was driving home, it was 23 degrees and the bottom of my windshield just started cracking. This has to be a Honda flaw in design. I wonder if any attorneys can begin a lawsuit on this?

110

2018 CRV. No signs of any chips. Crack started from the bottom under the black defrost part. Never noticed until the crack started spreading upwards. How do we get a recall campaign started?

30

Just today it happened. 2018 November we picked up brand new CRV. Now we have about 4000miles on it. Wife closed the passenger door while getting ready to take the kids to school - and the tailgate windshield spontaneously shattered on its own. Very annoyed with this right now! This is obviously a Honda manufacturing problem and shockingly low quality for a Honda.

20

Bought CRV in December 2017. I am on my THIRD windshield. This is absolutely ridiculous. Thinking about trading the car in as these windshield issues are counting as claims.

50

My wife has a 2015 crv with 75000 miles. Windshield cracked on passenger side for no apparent reason.

40

Last week I dropped the passenger side windshield wiper down after checking the blade. Cracked the windshield. It will cost me a $500 deductible to replace it. I don't have it, so I'm just going to ride this out until I do have the $$ to replace it. Ridiculous.

90

I just got CRV 2019 and just in two weeks got a windshield cracked with no known reason. It’s extremely disappointing for me as it seems it’s not covered under warranty. Recall is must as the problem seems genuine.

240

To all: This seems to be an on going issue with windshields on the "2017", "2018" and "2019" CRV models. Document EVERYTHING and keep all receipts. Print out all correspondence with the dealership and Honda HQ. When they are forced to issue a recall on this problem, I intend to get my money back for all expenses plus interest.

20

2018 CR-V with 21k miles on it. I got in the car yesterday and noticed a 6-inch crack in the middle of the windshield, about 6 inches up from the dash. No damage. The car is garaged. And it'll have to be replaced with an OEM windshield, otherwise the LKAS system won't work. I'm already getting ready to contact Honda Customer Service. This is ridiculous.

20

I have been driving Hondas for the past 30 years and never had a broken windshield until my 2007 CRV. Since then I have replaced that one and now twice on my 2015 CRV touring. The last one cracked from the bottom center. I parked and returned to my car and the window was cracked with no impact whatsoever. Something is not right with these windshields. IN 50 years of driving these are the only cars that I have ever had thee problems with. Never buying another CRV.

50

I own a 2012 Honda CRV and since owning it in December of 2012 I have had 17 chip repairs in the windshield. I am finally replacing the windshield with Henderson Glass and they are doing it for $240.17. I owned a Honda Element before this that was a 2007. I had a grand total of 48 chip repairs and two windshield replacements on that car. There was a class action lawsuit against Honda for a faulty windshield on the Element. I joined in on that lawsuit and got a total of $1,200 back from them. Honda has the longest lasting cars with the worst windshields possible

10

YES! I thought I was the only one but this is a problem that it seems I"M not the only one! My 2017 front window is cracked There should be a RECALL from Honda! HELLO HONDA!! Fix my window!

20

After the service manager told me that I would have to pay $1660 to have it replaced, I appealed to Honda Corp. They told me that they rely on the service managers to make the call. They suggested taking it to another dealer. I did go to another dealer and they replaced it free of charge and even gave me a loaner car.

50

I actually wound up getting my windshield for $200 from Henderson Glass. It was $240.17 but their windshield chip repairs are guaranteed for life. What that means is that the chip repair costs $39.95 and if a crack happens from the site of the chip repair they will deduct $39.95 from the cost of a new windshield. That's exactly what happened to me so after the $39.95 deduction the price came to $200.22. The customer service rep at Henderson Glass said we'll just round it to an even $200 to make it easier for you. I've always been very happy with them. It's an aftermarket windshield which I'm happy about. I wanted anything but Honda glass. It can't get any worse than Honda glass. It can only be the same or better. I'm hoping for better. It's been a week and I heard something small hit the windshield 3 days ago and so far no chips or cracks. If it were a Honda windshield, I would have seen a visible chip or crack within 24 hours. Any time something hit the windshield I automatically knew there would be a chip or crack somewhere. So far so good on this new windshield. Fingers crossed, knock on wood, and say a prayer.

30

When I went to pick up my brand new 2017 Honda CRV in 8/17, the dealer told me they had cracked the windshield by mistake when they took it through the car wash. Cracked up from passenger side wiper. They replaced it, so I accepted the car. About 6 months ago, a day after having my car serviced at dealer, the windshield cracked in the same place. I wasn't convinced it was the dealer's fault, so I didn't do anything about it. Last month when I was having my car serviced, I had a 2018 CRV loaner car. I noticed when I returned it there was a crack in the windshield in the exact same place. I didn't say anything at the time, but now after reading all these comments, I'm planning to take my car to dealer and push them to replace my windshield. I'm going to print out all these comments and bring them with me.

50

I just had my 2015 CRV windshield replaced by Glass Doctor in Warner Robins, Ga. It had cracked on passenger side for no apparent reason. The car has always been garaged, so heat did not cause the crack. Glass Doctor charged $245 and a 1 yr full warranty, and lifetime warranty against any stress cracks. That should solve my problem. The glass installer told me that the Honda CRV windshield was thinner than most auto windshields. New Honda’s are nowhere as good as old Honda’s. They contracted the cheapest bidder for batteries, tires, and windshields. When any company starts using cheapest bidder, expect other parts to fail also. I drove Toyota’s for years and switched to Honda. Time now to switch back to Toyota.

40

In my second CRV as well and guess what? it is the last one, took the lease 3 months ago, with 600+ Km and two weeks into the new lease the windshield cracked during daily driving, no outside influence, of-course Okotoks Honda south of Calgary can not admit it is a Manufacturing, you know why? cause it is a common issue, check this, https://ca.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t72374_ds906301. Not only that, Gas smell in Engine oil, service bulletin within 3 months of use, I wonder what happens after one year? and the funny thing that their customer service do not know the basics about customer service, 40 + days to respond to my complaint ( announced on their end a solution within 10 Business Days) and no escalation process? Really?!! By the way this is not about the cost, it is covered by insurance, I have to pay $ 50 deductible, it is about Honda does not care about their customers, and no thank you I will not discuss further, you know the problem and you know the solution, let us see if this post can stay on their FB wall

30

My 2017 CRV got a crack on driver side. No apparent reason. Not fair to have to buy a new windshield.

10

I just bought a 2019 crv exl and after two weeks, came out from work to a crack in windshield coming up from bottom driver window edge. It was a really hot day, likely expansion effect. Dealer indicated there isn’t any recall or design issue. Not happy.

20

Have a 2018 that got a chip inside the first 30 days. Free to fix via my insurance so they sent out Safelite. Chip was super small, didn't even need repair but I figured what the heck, its free. Tech cracked my entire window. So...had to replace it. Of course I didn't use Safelite. Went back with OEM glass, another 30 days, chip. Another 30 days after that, another chip. Inside 90 days, 3 chips and one replacement. I'm not even fixing chips anymore. Waiting for it to crack so I can go with an aftermarket replacement. My first Honda, not impressed. May switch to Toyota when I'm ready for a new SUV.

90

The windshields on these new GEN5 CRVs are absolute junk. I had a nick from road salt that was repaired last January. Then it cracked in a different spot and was replaced July 3rd. This weekend (July 20) what sounded like a little pebble hit it on Interstate 94 causing a star crack that jumped to over 6" within 4 more minutes of driving on smooth highway. So stunningly I'm going to have to replace a second windshield within 4 weeks! Any CRV owners who do not have glass replacement insurance need to get it immediately. I've owned many cars for the last 35 years and can tell you the CRVs windshield is very weak. Its very upsetting that Honda would produce such crap. And yes the replacement windshield was Honda OEM glass.

I just noticed a crack in windshield of my 2018 Honda CRV at the lower side of the passenger side. There is no sign of any damage and vehicle is garaged. Less than one year and 16,000km.

I have the 2018 CRV. Second windshield. Something is definitely wrong. Unfortunately I bought it, and didn’t lease. I fear this is going to be an ongoing problem. Obvious this is a design problem. Shouldn’t happen for no reason. Buyer beware!!!

10

I just noticed a crack in my windshield. 2019 CRV XL, almost 4K miles. It’s disheartening.

Add me to the list. 2017 CRV Touring - on my 3rd windshield in less than a year. Latest cracks were discovered when I returned from 6-day vacation - car had sat in driveway in mid-September.

Yes! I am constantly having to replace the windshield for no apparent reason. A crack will suddenly appear with no aid from rocks or other debris. Is there anything I can do to get hel from the company?

90

UPDATE: My 2018 CRV is 11 months old and has had it's windshield cracked/replaced twice along with 2 chip repairs - the last chip just happened and I paid for it out of pocket because my insurance agent indicated that if they have another windshield claim they (Farmers) will likely change my comprehensible deductible from $100 to $1,000 or increase my premium - or both. I'm NOT happy! Although I know Honda will do nothing I went ahead and opened a case with Honda Corporate which elicited the canned reply about how important quality is to them - and this is not a defect. I also posted a complaint on the NHTSA website (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/) - I strongly suggest everyone here do the same. May do nothing but at least will make you feel like you've done all you can. By the way, my Safelite store said they are seeing lots of Hondas (esp new CRVs) and Subarus. My next vehicle will not be either of those brands.

90

EVERYONE POSTING HERE SHOULD ALSO POST HERE: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

40

I've got a 2017 Honda CR-V (36000 miles) with the same issue of a cracked windshield. It cracked with no apparent reason on the passenger side and spread across to the driver side fairly quickly. Took it to Honda to see if they would replace it on their dime and then I would purchase a windshield warranty due to the cost of replacement being so expensive. The dealer blamed it on hot and cold weather but yet they admitted they have brand new 2019 CR-V's on the lot that get cracked windshields in the same place. There was a class action lawsuit filed at the beginning of November due to this being a problematic issue along with Infotainment system issues (by the way when the system glinches you can't lower the stero volume or change stations or adjust settings. This issue comes and goes monthly). When I showed Honda the information on this they said they were unaware of the issue and became very rude. By the way if it's a lease you will get charged for the cracked windshield when you go to turn it ($1448). My advice is to considered other brands at this point since Honda won't own up to their unibody issue causing these windshields to crack or purchase a windshield warranty ASAP.

90

TY895: I agree with your assessment. I paid for the last chip repair myself because my insurance agent thinks that (after 1 repair and two replacements) that Farmers will raise my deductible or premium if I file another windshield claim. You mentioned a "Windshield Warranty" - are there companies that offer stand-alone windshield policies or are you just referring to ensuring that our CRV insurance policies cover windshields?

40

When I went to Honda about this issue they offered a stand alone insurance policy that you can purchase through them for $995 for 5 years but you have to have an unbroken windshield first. I did not read the fine print but they claimed there was no limit on the windshield replacements through this policy. I'm not sure if I believe that but you know if Honda is offering a policy specifically for windshields, they know they have an issue. The policy might have been specific to that dealer as well but yes it did seem a lot like a third party policy Honda was offering.

Thank you to everyone posting on this thread. Before leaving for work yesterday morning I realized a large crack on my front windshield from one side to the next with no impact marks anywhere... just received my first quote of 980+ tax. Can anyone recommend a company in the simcoe county area I’m located in Barrie, Ontario

240

I knew there would be a class action suit coming down the pike and here it is. https://tinyurl.com/vs3bvgu

30

I’m about to be on my fifth windshield in 12 months. Stop the bullshit Honda, do the right thing and recall.

30

Brand new 2019 CRV 1200 miles with spontaneous crack coming from edge of windshield on driver's side. Heard loud POP and crack formed. Insurance covered this time with my dealership dropping all other fees as we told them about all the complaints that we have found online and class action lawsuit mentioned above. Filed complaint with Honda Corp and will be watching this very carefully. Saving all paperwork and documentation. Hoping it does not happen again but prepared for the worst!

90

GURU82JTG: Sorry to hear you have joined the cracked windshield club! Please consider posting the issue here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

20

https://www.classaction.org/news/class-action-alleges-honda-cr-v-windshields-can-prematurely-crack-shatter-due-to-defect

30

I decided to google and see if others had problems with their Honda CRV windshields. Although this thread validates my feelings, I find it very frustrating. I just had my windshield replaced with authentic Honda one rather than after market thinking it was a good thing. Two days later it cracks as the wiper dropped after clearing it and the windshield. In hindsight the first crack happened and the impact point is the wiper. Honda dealer said it was impossible for the wiper to cause the point of impact damage. Apparently NOT!

40

I was replacing the wiper blade on the driver side and had the passenger side up off the windshield. It fell, hit the windsield with the blade on the arm and cracked the windshield. We have the Honda Sensing package so the windshield has the camera in it and its $1300. There is currently a class action suit against Honda in regards to the windshield issues. My 2017 Pilot also just cracked right in the middle of the windshield at the very top, it too is already spreading.

30

I commented earlier and am in Canada. Are there other Canadians having this issue. The class action suit is in the US

10

I noticed two cracks in windshield of my 2019 Honda CRV EX at the lower side of the driver and passenger side for no reason. I just bought it last July and 3,760 miles.

90

GuruRHY9L Sorry that you have joined the CRV cracked windshield club. I now worry more about the cost of windshield replacements over the life of this car than about possible damage from oil dilution. I used to really love/trust Honda quality - - - not the case any more. : (

I just noticed a crack in my windshield (passenger side). 2018 CRV EX-L FWD