Honda CR-V with a CVT transmission

20

Asked by Mar 26, 2017 at 07:22 PM about the 2017 Honda CR-V Touring

Thinking about buying a Honda CR-V that has a CVT transmission.  I have
heard that this type of transmission only lasts for 60,000 miles. Am I taking a
chance buying this car since I will put more than 60k miles on it?

66,505

Buy an extended warranty. Cvt transmissions have been troublesome.

Best Answer Mark helpful
755

I believe Honda's CVT transmissions have proven to be reliable. The 60k lifespan is more applicable to early Nissan units; perhaps that's what was meant when the advice was given to you.

20

Thank you for responding. I believe the advice refers to the older CVT's. I can't believe that so many auto manufacturers would use CVT's if they were not reliable.

115,475

CVT's are used to get tiny improvements in gas mileage to comply with insane EPA regulations. Hopefully Trump will sh^t can all the anti-car regs that Obama put in.

50

My 2016 Subaru Forester had to have the entire CVT tranny replaced at 68K Miles it was $9000 plus labor good thing i had the extended warranty. If you drive a lot like I do I would be worried I will be forced to purchase something else before my warranty expires I was hoping to get at least 200K out of it but I cannot afford another CVT issue I no longer trust any vehicle with a CVT so do your research.

20

Thanks MARKNC. I am convinced and will stay away from a car with a CVT.

30

I have a Rogue with 105k miles and a CVT. Absolutely no problems with the CVT.

20

My '13 Outback blew it's CVT at 75k. Subaru completely covered the replacement even though I was out of warranty by 15k miles. Subaru has extended CVT warranties to 100k miles nationwide.

115,475

Subaru has seen the writing on the wall. First their engines burned oil and they were sued. They are trying to get ahead of lawsuits over the CVT by extending the warranty.

10

@Richard My 2011 Rogue showed signs of transmission problems at 33,000 miles. Rebuilt twice at 55,100- still not right. Now waiting for new transmission. I only had trouble when driving on the interstate, 70 MPH, hot days above 96 degrees, and approximately 1 1/2 hours into drive (when transmission heats up, goes into safe mode, with acceleration loss, 45 mph max speed). During normal diving conditions around town, I never had an issue. Even 45 minute trips to the next town at 60 mph, were never a problem. I have a theory that if I had not gone on long interstate trips, I never would have had an issue. I’m curious of your driving conditions. Do you drive long distances on the interstate? Mainly around town? 105k miles is impressive. The repair guy told me vehicles like yours exsisted but, I really did not believe him.

20

Thank you. We live in Atlanta and drive to New York and/or Boston about 5 times a year. The rest of our driving is local. Still debating buying a car with a CVT.

10

We have a 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage with a CVT transmission when we bought it had 8500 miles on it it now has close to 95 thousand and we're still getting 35to 41 miles to the gallon on the highway depending on how fast we are going. for the 1.2 3 cylinder motor that's in it it does alright.

10

My 2011 Nissan Sentra has had three CVT transmissions and has 92,000 miles on it. I am staying away from any other CVT transmissions at least made by nissan.

20

Hopefully CVT's have improved since 2011.

Backup display staying on without restoring default screen? Car stalls while backing up? Car suddenly accelerates while waiting at a stop? Tranny control stops responding v.v. won't recognize R or D or P, and requires a full restart? Then, your 2015 Honda with CVT has a defective transmission. Honda repair techs will try their old standby line that nothing can be done without evidencing a randomly occurring problem. Be persistent and document the problem.

20

Scary! Is this what happened to you? Was the problem resolved successfully?

I'm looking into buying a 2018 honda crv r there any problems w/cvt? ? long will cvt last b4 being replaced ? ? reliable is CVT ? R there any SUV s tht dont have CVT ?

CVT evolved from Honda’s motorcycle line. It is very much a Honda thing, and unifies the cycle and automotive lines. Count CVT as very much a strategic commitment for Honda transmissions. Honda replaced my tranny and gearbox once the problem was documented. The frustration was in not being able to duplicate problems on demand at the shop. iPhones can be used for more than a phone call, as was the case for my CR-V. 2018 ... not my year, but you might trying checking consumer reports for trends from 2015 and above. That experience provides a sense of user experience; of course, tranny quality marks assume an owner knows when their miscellaneous electrical problems are actually traceable to the transmission ... a linkage that isn’t self-evident.