Jeep Cherokee gas tank

115

Asked by Oct 08, 2008 at 03:13 PM about the 1992 Jeep Cherokee 4 Dr Sport

i was browsing on the internet sites that review cars and i was looking at Cherokees and i noticed  they all say that Cherokees have a 20.2 gallon tank and i was a bit confused because i have never put more than 16.5 gallons in my tank and i usally run it bone dry b4 i fill up. does any know if that was an option or is my Cherokee weird or are these websites misinformed??

85

i see wot u mean on the websites. tell me, how dry did you run the tank? till the reserve light came on or till you finished whats in the the reserve tanks as well? if just till the reserve light then it could be that the difference is sitting in the reserve tank. also, did you have this car from new? it could possibly be that the previous owner had a leak in the tank ir something and replaced it with a compatible smaller tank, unlikely but possible.

115

i ran it about 25-35 miles after the light come on it was right on the E line. i am second owner so that could be a possibility

55

the owners manual to my jeep says 20.2 gallons also.

25

It is definitely a 20 gallon tank. I had to replace mine last year. Before I replaced mine, I did notice that the fuel gauge was only reading a total of 16 gallons. I was driving around with the old tank reading E on the gauge for a while, and I still had a few gallons left to swap into the new tank.