1992 Jeep Cheokee Laredo: Will not start for me, but will start for the mechanic?

Asked by Nov 17, 2016 at 03:50 PM about the 1992 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr Laredo 4WD

So my Cherokee will not start for me or my boyfriend, but everytime I have
it towed to the mechanic they start it up right away and consistantly are
able to get it started. Because of that, they have no idea what might be
wrong. The car cranks, but doesn't turn over. They checked the starter and
the fuel pump and they said they were fine. We are going to take it to
another shop, but is there anything else we should be having them check
for? Or is this a common problem with the model of Jeep?

66,015

What exactly happens when you try to start it. The more information you give the better the advice will be.

it will just endlessly crank, but never starts. Sounds like a more rugged version of the sound this car makes below at like 15 seconds in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=064Ilsz8Fzg

66,015

I would check to see if there is spark and fuel. The engine is not getting spark or fuel but you will have to check to see which one it is. Can you hear the fuel pump running when you try to start it?

Yeah I can hear the fuel pump running.

66,015

I would still check to see if the engine is getting fuel but it may be an issue with the ignition.

Okay, I'll bring that up to them. Thank you! Do you think there a reason the car would be starting for the mechanics and not us? Other than it's possesed and hates us.

66,015

Old Cherokees are a nightmare.

20

Check your ignition switch brain box under the dash on drivers side connected to steering column that's what happened to my Jeep Cherokee and that's what it was

345

probably have a clogged or problematic fuel pump

20

That's what I thought at first replaced fuel pump and that wasn't the problem it still done the same thing until I talked to a mechanic that worked at Auto Zone and he asked if I checked the ignition switch brain box under the dash on drivers side connected to steering column and that was the problem and never had another problem with it since

I have a 2 wheel drive 93 jeep cherokee sport that stalled and died like it wasn't getting fuel. Ended up being the block ground on the passenger side of the 4.0 block above the coil pack fixed that issue now if only I could find out why my speedo don't work I'm gonna run a ground from my battery to the intrument cluster itself from the battery for a test I'll let you all know