overheating jeep

Asked by Jun 02, 2014 at 12:13 AM about the 1995 Jeep Cherokee 4 Dr SE

I have a 95 jeep Cherokee that I can't seem to keep from overheating. I put a new
thermostat radiator cap & upper radiator hose on. Got frustrated took the thermostat
back out still over heats. Did a flush on the the system still no luck. Was wondering if
there are any quirks with this year & model that causes them to overheat

9,475

Yes,the water pump : )

10

make sure your system is holding the required presure; usually between 14-19 psi, which helps your engine to run at a higher temp, therefore better efficiency. Loss of presure will cause your coolant to boil and steam away causing a shortage of coolant. this is either caused by a cracked head , a partually blown head gasket, or a warped head from previous overheating A properly sealed and presurized cooling system will make your engine run smoother and more efficiently, reduce wear and tear, amd provide you with less overheating problems NEVER remove your t-stat completely thinking it will make your engine run without overheatingl. T-stat only can raise your engine to rated temps, not cause overheating. Unless, of course , its not opening at all or only partially. Test it in a pan of boiling water, if it opens fully, put it back in . Then look elsewhere for your problem ; radiator, fans, coolant flow blockage, etc. Good luck