95 Cherokee Over Heating

Asked by Mar 16, 2011 at 02:59 PM about the 1995 Jeep Cherokee 4 Dr SE

I have a 95 jeep. It started to overheat over trips more then 30 minutes and when I
would get out of work the radiator would be bone dry. So Ive since put in a new
radiator. When we did this it went from taking 30 minutes to over heat to 5
minutes. The mechanic says its the head gasket. We didn't have any milky oil nor
any oil in my radiators water. So we pulled it apart put a new one in rebuilt the
engine and the same thing. Along the way we added a new water pump as well. It
seems that when we turn it on it builds up a good amount of pressure. He had his
pressure tester hooked up and said it was over 30 pounds. The reserve for the
coolant starts to bubble up and when it does that sure enough the temp gauge is
red. He now seems to say the head may be cracked. Which doesnt make sense to
me since if it was cracked i would think it would be losing pressure! Now the first
time it did this after putting in the radiator it sounded like popping coming from
the front of the engine where the waterpump is mounted right above it. Im not sure
if this is my thermostat or what. But thats the only thing we havent done. Would
the thermostat do any of these things? Any help or insight would be greatly
appreciated

3,025

1) how is the heat in the cooler weather? Does the heat temperature seem cooler when you stop? It sounds like you have a clogged cooling system, possibly the heater core. Jeeps cherokees are notorius for this. What color is the coolant? Please award points if this helps

1,375

this could be something even as simple as the thermostat stuck closed, not allowing the coolant to flow through the engine. sounds to me like you need a new mechanic. cooling pressure should be right around 16 lbs. not 30. also belt driven fan or electric? if its electric it may not be working. and without milky colored oil the head gasket is not the issue! as stated above you may be given the run around. fix the thermostat before jumping straight to the heater core. replacing that is requires a lot of work, and is thus very expensive.

yes a stuck thermostat will cause over heating,a cracked head will do the same thing.