I have a new 2017 Impreza. When I start the car the radio always comes on automatically. I cannot discover in the settings a way to keep this from happening. Any advice?

Asked by May 15, 2017 at 01:57 PM about the 2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Limited Hatchback

115,865

Did you read the owners manual? Do you turn off the radio before turning the engine off?

no mention of this in the manual or the shortcut catalog....and yes, i do turn off the radio before turning the engine off.

115,865

You have a warranty so I would go to your Subaru dealer and have them show you how to turn off the radio. If it is defective they should replace it.

8,670

Turn the volume to min so the autostart isn't noticeable?

70

My Subaru Impreza does the same thing. We took it to the dealership and they had the car for two days and couldn't figure it out. It appears that pushing the volume button just mutes the radio. The only solution we came up with was to turn the volume down as low as it will go before you shut off the car. Now they are telling us that that is the way the radio is designed and it is working as designed. What idiot thought that would be a good idea. Very disappointing.

Don't buy a Subaru! I just bought one and I don't like it. When they say the interior is black it's actually grey. The sales brochure is airbrushed / photo shopped to enhance the appeal of the product. See the difference between the US model and Canadian model! Just airbrushed over. The stereo will turn on twice when you go to start it, and will turn back on after you turn it as you pull out the key. It's very very unpleasant. Buyer beware...fuel consumption ratings are nowhere near what this things uses. Be prepared for BMW level servicing costs and higher fuel costs. You cannot fit Thule black square bar roof accessories to the 2017! Stay away. Buy a Mazda 3, they are much better overall, affordable fuel mileage, servicing, the stereo is better and they have actual black interiors!

10

I had a (possibly) similar problem, and I apologize if it's irrelevant. I use my phone's media and my radio starts whenever I turn the car off, so I just found a blank Sirius channel and left the radio on it. Now it plays that blank channel whenever I turn the car off, so I hear nothing. Don't expect correct UI elements or designs from car manufacturers. They're idiots with this stuff. This 'new' UI is mid 00's tier at best.

disappointed in my 2017 Impeza. I bought TOP of the line limited w/ options and sub is even embarrassed to put a limited badge on the car. *no auto locking doors (hard to manually lock/unlock & switch difficult) modern cars auto lock/unlock w/ ign. *dinky gas tank, poor economy, no turbo... hence poor mpg & power *rides like a truck* no lumbar support option... no power pass. option *oh yeah the screen has malfunctioned 3 x's and I only have2,600 miles on the car. Last trip to the dealer (modesto subaru) they sent me home saying "there is nothing the can do. It'll reset... were not sure when". Fortunately it has ... so far... *hope that's all?!?!?! I would say the new "Pinto" but they were better

30

On my 2018 Impreza pushing the media button turns the radio off and keeps it off. Pushing "radio" turns it back on.

I have 2018 Impreza Premium and having the same issue!!!

8,670

All of them do it!

60

Wow, GuruD1VMQ doesn't have a clue. First, Subarus are terrible because the interior color is wrong? Maybe it's not an exact match to what's in the brochure, but you were able to see the car before you bought it. You saw the interior and still bought it and now you're complaining? That's totally on you. And you're wrong on the fuel consumption. My 2018 Impreza is marketed as 31 mpg ( 27 city, 37 highway). Those numbers are spot on. In fact I've had trips where I am exceeding 38 miles per gallon on the highway. And I'm not basing this on what the in car MPG readout states, as those are inaccurate and mine runs about 2.5 gallons high. I have a device that plugs into the ODB II port and gives me all sorts of data. Your claim that the service and maintenance costs are as much is a BMW? Clearly you've never had a BMW, because you couldn't be further from the truth. Also, no one is forcing you to use the dealer. Different dealers have different pricing. Just because your local Subaru dealer may be charging an arm and a leg doesn't mean you have to use them. But you don't seem to have enough common sense to shop around and get a quote elsewhere. You'd rather just make stupid decisions and complain online afterwards. And noSUBIagain's comments are just as bad. You're complaining that it lacks auto locking doors, has a small gas tank and no turbo? As well as no lumbar support or passenger power seat? These are all things you knew before buying the car! And you still bought it… So I have to ask why? If you spend $25,000+ on a car that doesn't have the features you want and you aren't happy with, you're but very bright. No one made you buy the car; you chose to buy a car that didn't have things you wanted .

8,670

Don't shoot the dog, Dan....

I will only answer the auto-locking issue. There is a way to set it. Actually I have somebody else to answer it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK8Y0ylAjOs