causes for overheating?

Asked by Sep 24, 2010 at 06:54 PM about the 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4-Door 4WD

Help me figure out what i need

1,475

first, is your coolant full? second, check your fan, if it is belt driven then dont worry about it. second i would check your thermostat. on a 1996 unless previously replaced odds are it has gone bad

65

i had that problem with my 95 jeep i put new thermostat in still had the overheating problem then i replaced the hoses that didn't solve the problem then i put new radiator that solved the problem lucky for me that my hubby is a mechanic and he owned 2 previous jeep before this one i reccomend u to get a new radiator if the thermostat doesn't solve the problem.

735

Also the 96 cherokees have a clutched fan and a secondary electric fan that kicks on to cool the motor if it gets to hot it could be simple as a fuse. If you have a small leak in the host or radiator it will over heat since its a pressure system. :-)

100

calen, where would this fuse you're speaking of be at? I have a 96 sport 2-door, and would it be the same?

40

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee it keeps overheating when I drive it I have to turn the AC on so the electric cooling fan won't kick on and off is that a good thing or is it supposed to kick on and off without turning the AC on

35

my 2004 jeep Cherokee is over heating can't afford to pay to do much with it what can i do till i can.

10

I'm a car dealer in the bay area. I just bought one of these cherokees (first time) for selling to the public. Well, I had the same overheat issue. These cars are about as good as a Cadillac - i.e. I'll NEVER buy another one again fuor resale. Switched out thermostat and radiator. I'm a mediocre mechanic meaning I can figure out most problems using some diagnostic tests so I gave the car to a buddy who is a mechanic and together we couldn't figure out how to resolve the issue. I will note that I had the 4.7 engine and that I found that some electrical harness is often a culprit so you have to switch that out with a hydraulic power steering pump. In addition to this discovery we found an article that states that the metal used on the engine that actually nests against the water pump - that corrodes and because of that - your engine is basically shot. We tested the block for head gasket, warped / cracked head...and we did a diagnostic to see if the water pump was working and it was...DO NOT BUY *UCKING JEEPS!!!! THEY ARE CRAP!!! I sell tons of BMW X5's and X3's - QUALITY CAR - WAY BETTER THAN USA CRAP JEEPS. Here is the link to the metal corrosion deal - F U Jeep...BUILD BETTER CARS! http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38876