airbag light

80

Asked by Apr 07, 2015 at 01:49 PM about the 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4 Dr Country 4WD

My jeep failed inspection as the inspector says the airbag light doesnt work.  I can't find
the light on the instrument panel.  I pulled the panel and dont find one.   Online
researching  says there is no light but my inspector insists there is.  Is there an airbag
light and if so where?

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t15885_ds556628 is a question about a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and his is on and can't get it off. But any car with airbags WILL have a warning light, it runs a self-diagnostic every time you start it. I have had cars much older than 1996 that had the light. The inspector said that for that reason, any car with air bags has a light. Turn your key to 'run' but don't start it. It should light up with every other warning light. If it doesn't, well you have already pulled the panel and was there not a bulb, or at least a socket for it? I couldn't get a 1996 owners manual but on a 1998 it is here, click for full screen

80

this is not the same information i get from another jeep certified mechanic. he sent the attached documentation as well

80

I did pull the panel and there was no light with an airbag description and there was also no airbag light listed in the owners manual. The certified Jeep mechanic I spoke with says they didn't use modules until 1997 on jeep cherokees.

Well I certainly stand corrected. Apparently I have the wrong year dash up there. Take that to the inspector, hard to dispute.That is something learned today, sorry for the mis-information and Thanks for the education. I might have something to do with Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and the other Trims.

Makes sense. That's why I said I couldn't get a 1996 manual on-line, so used the 1998 I could get, and figured it was the same...my bad ..again, show that document to inspector

80

The weird part about all of this is that a Jeep dealer couldn't answer the question about this. The state inspector was also positive all models with airbags have a panel sensor so I am not sure how much it will take here to convince him. But I am taking documentation and the old panel layout . Would like to give him a bill for $50 for my time pulling the panel as well : ))

72,395

Absolutely, take the document with you. I've found that as vehicles get older the 20 year old "inspectors" have no idea of what they're looking at. I once had a guy try to fail my '70 Catalina because he said the interior door handle didn't work. It worked just fine. You had to pull UP not OUT to get it to open. HTH. -Jim

I have the same problem with my warrant of fitness (NZ) inspector. He failed my 1996 jeep cherokee as the SRS - Airbag light isnt working.... there is NO SUCH LIGHT !! oh and he also said the ABS Light wasnt working so had that problem fixed and NO there is no SRS light at all. dont know how I am going to get on with this man tomorrow when i go back but have taken a photo of your comments - which I am eternally grateful to you for sharing - and hopefully he will pass my jeep this time.

80

Good luck to you. My inspector and I are now pretty close and he grins when I come in for the annual inspection on the 96 jeep.