98 Cherokee Sport bucks and lurches

Asked by Apr 01, 2011 at 11:24 AM about the 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4 Dr Sport 4WD

Hi Guys.  I've got a question for the mechanical geniuses.

My 98 Cherokee Sport hesitates when I back it up.  It also starts lurching and bucking on the highway after it's been running for a while.  Lastly, it backfires internally if you try to start it up but don't turn the key to the on position for about 30 seconds ahead of time.

Any ideas what could be going on?  I'm planning a trip cross-country in May and obviously can't take it running like this.  I live in a small town and the only "mechanic" within a reasonable drive is a backyard guy.

Thanks a lot.

John

5

i had the same problem with my 01 cherokee as far as the lurching and the backfiring. mine was cause by vapor locking in the injectors themselves, i believe it was cylinder 3 or 4. what i did to cure it on mine was to take some rubber hoses like vacuum lines or anything like that and wrap it around the injectors and the fuel rail to insulate it from the heat all around it. not gauranteeing that will fix your problem but its a cheap thing to try and only takes a couple minutes.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. It's definitely worth trying.