I feel my 99 mustang is over heating. I smell the radiator no lights are on but antifreeze reserved is empty. When I filled it 4 months ago

Asked by May 30, 2015 at 07:22 PM about the 1999 Ford Mustang STD Coupe

20

if its not leaking on the outside we're leaving puddles under car. check heater core

39,115

Top off everything again. If the car is truly over heating, you would see the temp gauge go to the red. If that is not happening, you have a leak someplace. Start looking in the corners of your radiator for wet spots. Check your upper and lower hoses for wetness around the . clamps. Check around the thermostat housing and the water pump. Pull your dipstick and check your oil to make sure it's not all milky. If you notice milky oil or a lot of white smoke coming from your exhaust, you have a bad head gasket.

18,810

Try a bottle of bars leak radiator sealer. Trust me this stuff really works.

67,375

Older models need to have their fluids checked more frequently. If you're very low on coolant the light may not come on or if you have a gauge it may not read hot. The sending unit is like a stick that's designed to be submerged in coolant. If there's no coolant or very little coolant the sensor will be reading air temp. and be inaccurate. Please do not add any stop leak products to the cooling system. It will cause more harm than good! These products clog heater cores, radiators, and small cooling system passages. Then you'll really be overheating! Top off the radiator and fill the recovery tank to the cold line. Check your fluids weekly, at first from this point, then monthly once you know that nothing is leaking. Older models use more fluids. It's normal. Seals and gaskets seep as they get older. Nothing to worry about. But you must keep on top of things to avoid a breakdown or serious mechanical damage. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
18,810

First of all I would not recommend any thing that would harm your vehicle. I have used stop leak before and recommended to others and it has worked great. Put some in my vehicle when i had a leak and it has not leaked for 2 years and has not clogged my cooling system. Secondly I do Agree Js08017 stop leak will clog your cooling system if you use more then that is recommended. It says in the instructions do not use more than one bottle if it does not work go for repairs. So if you decide to try it its either going to work or not work just do not continue to add more stop leak hoping it will stop the leak because that's when you would clogg your cooling system up.