Can you replace the factory mufflers in a 1999 Mustang with 2 mufflers that are usually found on those Hondas/Acuras? (Those loud rice burner ones)

30

Asked by Aug 18, 2012 at 02:19 AM about the 1999 Ford Mustang Coupe

Can you replace the factory mufflers in a 1999 Mustang with 2 mufflers that are usually found on those Hondas/Acuras? (Those loud rice burner ones). I would love my Mustang to sound like a '95 Civic going down a block

270,245

I don't know why, but if you really want to, your would need to do some custom work. You can buy some catback systems from big companies like Flowmaster and Magnaflow, but you'll get a deep growl of a sound. For what you want to do, I would suggest is calling or stopping in to a a few muffler shops in your area and tell them what you want to do and they will hook you up with the right parts and do the install for you.

Best Answer Mark helpful
355

If you're going for what the Hondas and Acuras on the street usually run then you'll need a grinder or saw zaw (something to cut your stock muffler off) and a local autozone. Cut the pipe right before your muffler. A LOT of rice burners run straight pipes so if that's what you want then just get piping from autozone to extend it out the back of your car. Or if you'd rather get a muffler (which you should) then autozone carries a variety of mufflers from Glasspacks to Flowmasters. Then once you have the muffler use adapters and clamps to attach it to your stock exhaust. And then run exhaust piping from the outlet of the muffler out the back of your car, side, truck, wherever you feel like putting it.

355

By the way, the reason I said to cut the muffler off, is because it's common for the muffler to rust to to the stock exhaust making it a pain (sometimes impossible) to take off without cutting.

475

DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE. BUT HERE IN CALIF STRAIGHT PIPES ARE ILLEGAL. BUT ONLY IF THEY CATCH YOU/THEM.

355

I live in Arkansas. From everything I've heard, in Cali A lot of things are illegal.

30

Thanks guys. I think I will take it to a muffler shop. Hopefully they can hook me up

395

Most of the rice burners are just exhaust tips. You can put them on any car. Why would you want to put one on a mustang I don't know. I put a dual exhaust on my 02 v6 and it made it sound deep and powerful .of course I put the intake on too. Put an exhaust that was made for a mustang and you'll get the sound you want and power to leave most hondas in the dirt. Just a word of advice, don't pull up next to me or any mustang and rev a rice burner because we will all laugh .plus we won't be able to hear it from in front of you. Kidn

355

I don't understand how Tom has the best answer -_- . You asked for tips about a Rive Burner exhaust, he gave you tips about getting a non rice burner exhaust. Also, you shouldn't go anywhere to get such an easy job done. They will charge you out the butt for something you could easily do yourself in your driveway.