wipers on my 1999 Jeep cherokee don't "land". they stay slightly raised.

15

Asked by Feb 19, 2017 at 08:16 PM about the 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4 Dr Sport 4WD

2,325

Is this something new or have they always been like that ?

70,315

On the other end of the wiper travel does the driver's wiper go off the windshield or close to it? If so the arms are probably just out of adjustment. Remove the wiper arms and run the wipers. Shut the wipers off and install the wiper arms on the shafts where they should be. HTH. -Jim

15

That's what I did Jim. Mark, just got this Cherokee from a private buyer and inspection report failed for this. Ridiculous!!!!! My wrangler is the same way. Caravan stopped than went lower, that's what made me question whether or not it had an automatic lowering circuit or Land.

70,315

I see. That sounds like the wiper motor. If I'm understanding you correctly, it's a "depressed park" set up. While they're running or on delay they stop where you're saying they stop now at the off position. When they should stop there for a moment, then lower to the park position. Definitely sounds like the motor. There's a relay inside of the motor (not replaceable) that opens when you shut off the switch. This allows the wipers to park. If you can remove the cover from the motor try spraying a little WD-40 in there. That'll sometimes free things up. You can also check the plug for the wiper motor with the switch off then on for power. If you get the expected results in the switch positions, the switch is good. HTH. -Jim