2000 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L Automatic Radiator Replacement

5

Asked by Feb 07, 2015 at 09:58 PM about the 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Would like to replace my radiator that seems to leak occasionally, most recently on a 16
degree night with a better (non crimped all metal 2-row) radiator.

50

Replace radiator

5

Really? Thanks. I stated I wanted to replace it in my question. I was hoping someone on here had experience with replacing one in this family of Wrangler and would share the steps and also suggest a better than OEM, 2-Row Radiator.

4,625

you can go after market and get an all aluminum 2 row or 3 row depending on what you need to keep it cool....they range from $150.00 to $250.00 depending on the rows and where you buy it from .... www.radiatorexpress.com ... or http://www.genesisautoparts.com/ ....while your there for service sake if the hoses are old you might want to replace them as well here is the factory removal and install you can always U/tube it as well and see it first hand. RADIATOR REMOVAL WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE THE CYLINDER BLOCK DRAIN PLUGS OR LOOSEN THE RADIATOR DRAINCOCK WITH THE SYSTEM HOT AND PRESSURIZED. SERIOUS BURNS FROM THE COOLANT CAN OCCUR. Disconnect negative battery cable at battery. Observe the previous WARNING. Remove the radiator cap. Remove the condenser lower seal from the lower core support Condenser Lower Seal Position drain pan under draincock. Open radiator draincock and drain radiator. DO NOT WASTE reusable coolant. If solution is clean, drain coolant into a clean container for reuse. Remove radiator upper and lower hose clamps. Remove radiator hoses. Disconnect coolant reserve/overflow tank hose from radiator. Remove the four fan shroud mounting bolts Radiator - Remove/Install On some models the power steering fluid reservoir tank is attached to the side of the fan shroud. Tie the reservoir back to prevent spillage. Position the fan shroud back over the fan blades. If equipped, disconnect and plug automatic transmission fluid cooler lines. Remove six radiator mounting bolts. Position the front axle vent hose Radiator - Remove/Install to the side. Lift radiator straight up and out of vehicle taking care not to damage radiator fins. When removing radiator, note position of the rubber seals located on the top and bottom of radiator (on certain models only) Radiator - Remove/Install To prevent possible overheating, these seals must be installed to their original positions. INSTALLATION Position the radiator. Install and tighten the six mounting bolts Radiator - Remove/Install to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque. Close radiator draincock. Position fan shroud and power steering reservoir tank (if equipped) Install and tighten four mounting bolts to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque. If equipped, remove plugs and connect automatic transmission fluid cooler lines and constant tension clamps. Connect radiator hoses and install hose clamps. Position and install the condenser lower seal Condenser Lower Seal Connect battery negative cable. Fill cooling system with correct coolant. Refer to Cooling Sytem Refilling in this group. Connect coolant recovery bottle hose. Install radiator cap. Check and adjust automatic transmission fluid level (if equipped) Start engine and check for leaks.