wish is better?

Asked by Oct 28, 2008 at 12:28 PM about the 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

is the liberty beter than the jeep cherokee?

250

That depends on what you want. Off-road capability, durability, and reliability..Cherokee, hands-down. Comfortable, soccer-mom SUV...Liberty, skirt down.

115

It all depends. I have jeep Cherokee and my best friend has a liberty. Liberty has a 3.7 v6 which is a better highway engine and cherokee has a 4.0 straight 6 which is better for off roadin. to me the cherokee has more a rugged and simple design which i like and the liberty looks really nice but it kinda seems girly to me.Cherokee engines have ungodly durability(mine has 280k) we will see as some of the libertys age whether they hold up. Other than that Its really just a matter of personal preference they are very similar vehicles

55

The liberty is the new version of the cherokee. Which is better really depends on what you want. Off roading and power go with the cherokee, but if you need good fuel economy and comfort then go with the liberty.

115

Ignore the part where he said good fuel economy. Both get very similar mileage, and neither is very impressive. If you need mileage, get a Nissan Altima or something. If you need comfort, get a sex change. :-P The Cherokee is a hell of a lot more fun because the engine makes some good torque and it doesn't weigh much, the Cherokee is very easy to work on, it looks a hell of a lot better, it has excellent offroad capability stock and can easily be modified for even more, and the list goes on....

105

In my opinion is better the Cherokee. It's true that Liberty offers better highway economy, and is quiter but, the Jeep Cherokee XJ is an off-road legend, an authentic Jeep. Its AMC PowerTech I-6 242 engine is virtualy undestructible, it has 60% of its torque at idle so crawling in rocks an get dirty is better on it. In addition the Liberty is heavier, and has independent front suspension that is better for a family car but put in trouble the Liberty in difficult terrains. I don't know how much the new Liberty has better off-road capabilities, because in theory Jeep change the suspension, the powertrain, spring coils, has ABS, EBD, ERM, etc but... I don't have drive it. By the other hand, Liberty 2002-2006 models had a lot of problems with suspension, stabilizer bars, and drivetrain; the CRD model also has problems with its front differential. A lot of Jeep Libertys had to return to production lines to correct an specific problem with front suspension so, it's not a dependable car to me. The new Liberty looks much better and looks like the old-era Cherokee, but remember that Liberty is not the following model of Cherokee: The Liberty has been introducted to fill the missed space occuped by Cherokee, but both are so different cars; in addition the Jeep Commander looks like a Cheropkee re-design but with more capability of the Grand Cherokee so, if really Jeep redisigned the Cherokee as the Commander, now the legend is in another level. Cherokee XJ is not inmortal: some models has electrical failures in accesories like fog lamps switch in the center of dash, the RPM detector fails which make that the engine shuts down, electric windows and locks console with short-life, etc. But for me, the Cherokee is much better than Liberty, its legendary engine has better compression for slow descents, overground distance is better, is lighter, cheaper, and more fun to drive than Liberty

15

Ive got a friend with a liberty and lifted 3 inches its cool lookin but i wouldnt take it offroad its to classy for the mud. On the other hand i have a cherokee and its also lifted and i mud it up every weekend and love it plus all my friends love it to. I havnt ever heard of someone who has seen a liberty goin down the road lifted saying that they want one. But i hear it every day about my cherokee that when they see how well it does in everyday life that they all want one of their own. Plus their pretty easy to modify as long as u know where to look.

25

yo that dude drives a 2WD. of course hes asking a ignorant question like that.