Overheating

20

Asked by May 26, 2016 at 12:05 AM about the 2001 Jeep Cherokee 4 Dr Classic 4WD

Car over heating i change water pump ..heater
core.......gasket .... thermostat .....in the hose that
connect to that water pump from radiator ....but
car still running hot and fan barely turns ......what
should i do now ???

4,855

When you say gasket, do you mean the head gasket? What does the termp gauge do during operation. Does it heat up when idling, but cool down on the freeway? Does the temp gauge go down when you turn the heater on full blast while the car is idling or in traffic? Let me know, I am can hopefully pinpoint the problem.

20

Thermostat gasket ...and i the temp runs up to 280 slow ...but my fan doesnt spin slow to were i can grab it

4,855

It might be the cooling fan, any dummy lights on, on the dash?

20

No lights

20

The fan runs slow

4,855

Check that the fan "RELAY SWITCHES" are connected, and functional. The other thought is that the fan motors may be shot. A new assembly might be required.

260

ok did you change these parts yourself? If you did, you might have air in the cooling system and that is causing poor circulation to cool your engine, so you will need to bleed it or get rid of the air.

20

What are relay switches ??? And you think air is stopping the fan from spinning ???? Or is the clutch out ???

95,265

I would say the fan clutch, wait till the rig is cold like overnight, in the morning see if you can spin the fan with you hand before even starting the engine, if it spins fairly free then it is a bad fan clutch, but if it just hair.y moves then the clutch is good, now this only applies to those jeeps than have the fan and clutch bolted to the water pump, does not work with the hydraulic or the electric fans. HTH

20

So if the fan doesnt move freely then whats the problem???

95,265

It not suppose to move freely.

20

Right.....so my ??? Is if it DONT MOVE FREELY WHATS MY PROBLEM???

95,265

If it don't move freely you can rule out the fan clutch as a problem, I have seen a couple of times the wrong water pump getting put on, there are two pumps one is clockwise and the other is counter clockwise, double check that and I have also seen the thermostats get put in backwards, so recheck your work, it still could be air, you may have to run the front upon some ramps to help get the air out.

20

So i just tired to move the fan it move but barley???? Is it the clutch ???

95,265

Doubtful, that is the way they should be cold. You may want to buy one of those little lazer temp sensing guns, they are fairly reasonable from harbor freight, that way you could trace out where the coolant stops flowing, either thought the new pump or a bad thermostat.

20

Ty

20

Were are the relay switches located ???

95,265

The relays are located I the power distribution box in the engine compartment, the diagram wil be on the lid of the box.