Overheating problem that cannot be resolved yet

Asked by Jul 30, 2012 at 03:44 PM about the 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD

Hi.. I have an 02 Jeep Liberty.  It started to slightly overheat just past the mid point.  Had the coolant changed and thermostat replaced...still overheating.  They replaced the fan clutch and it still overheated, replace the water pump ..still overheated.  On that 45 minute test drive the check engine light came on and it started misfiring.  THEN they tell me they flushed it after the water pump being replaced and they think some crud may have gotten stuck and now the heads are WARPED.  So...they get the heads machined and I tell them just put a new radiator in too.  They do...test drive it and it is STILL OVERHEATING.  He said they may have to purge the lines because it may now be air in the line...but they dont have a machine to do it???    PLEASE HELP.   I am a woman....doesnt mean anything except I feel like I am getting taken for a bad ride right now.

2,405

I would check the water hoses from the radiator to the engine to see if the hoses have collapsed, if so then the radiator cap is not venting properly. Check to see if the overflow reservoir is getting the excessive filling when it starts to over heat. Continuing to remain over heated will cause the heads to warp so that might be a problem now as well. If your oil is turning any shade of brown or milky then your head gasket-s are burnt or exhaust could be passing through the head into the oil pan.

my jeep did that and i had water and oil in the number 4 injector and in the spark plugs had to blow it all out.

50

I have the EXACT problem w my '03 Liberty. I'm out of parts to replace but did find a service manual on Jeepkj.com that shows where to bleed the air. There's also a module behind the glove compartment that has something? to do w it,& am getting s new lower radiator hose which may be collapsing. I cannot afford a mechanic or even anymore parts. There's no way I can get another car,& no other transportation to get to work. Any sdblvuce would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and best of luck to all with a liberty.

I had a 99 Dodge half-ton had a 5.2 v8 in it it overheated replace the heads done everything we supposed to do still overheated went back in done more work, still messed up, well you're not going to believe this guys, as soon as I said take the water pump off cuz its brand new as soon as I said water pump everybody knew right then, it's something to do with the water pump, well so here's what we did we took the water pump off. And man when we was looking for what it was the damn propeller was spun off, I called the damn autozone in Idabel Oklahoma 580- 208-2002 and I told them that I just won the jackpot and I were going to pay for it, well they didn't pay for see it I bought me a new water pump you guys and paid to have it put on all that other s*** that had been redone again it was like having two damn jobs done back to back with no miles in between and it was the same job y'all have a good day

10

It's not leaking in my car. Don't see any leak in hoses. I can't find where water is leaking .

Do not have a fix!