03 Jeep Libery will not start checked battery and put brand new starter in. What else can I do?

10

Asked by Feb 26, 2016 at 03:22 AM about the 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD

I ran into the store and when I came out my jeep would not start. The lights, radio, heat etc. all worked. Had the car jumped and new starter. Called the dealership and explained to them, they said it was the starter. WRONG!

65,305

If you jumped the vehicle and it started, there could be several problems. The most obvious would be the battery. How was it checked? Jumping the vehicle indicates possible corroded battery cables and bad connections.

10

The battery is brand new

65,305

Check the cables for corrosion.

Best Answer
10

Already did all that, I think it could be the switch actuator in the steering column. I've done everything else I can think of

65,305

That would be the ignition switch, and that very well could be. You can check down on the starter the small wire with a test light. Have someone turn the key to start and check to see if there is power.

25

When u turn the key does it sound like it's gonna staƕ?

10

Yea

65,305

We were under the impression that the vehicle was not turning over. So it will turn over, but the engine will not start? Is this the problem?

10

When I turn the key you can hear a faint sound like its trying to start .. Sorry i dknt know much about cars

65,305

Ok, you probably should find someone you trust that knows a bit about cars, or get it to a shop. It it hard to diagnose behind this screen without accurate descriptions of the problem. Sorry, just don't want to tell you something it is not.

25

Check your ignition actuator pin! I had a similar problem where I can turn the key the vehicle made a clicking sound but engine did not turn over, after we replace the starter, battery etc. it was resolve by replacing the ignition actuator pin

4,555

Since you indicated that "checking cable connections for corrosion" was the best answer, I will assume that cleaning or replacing them solved your problem. I would seriously think about going back to the dealer that changed your starter and did not notice this in the process. I think you are owed a partial refund (since you are keeping the new starter).

10

It was the pin thank you! Car ia running!

10

Sarah8690 was it a cheap fix? Mine is doing the same thing!!