03 Yukon xl Denali traction active message on accelration

Asked by Mar 24, 2017 at 01:50 PM about the 2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4WD

I have a "traction active" message come up while trying to accelerate. I turn
off traction control to drive vehicle. I have checked with a live scanner an all
wheel speed sensors show a default of 3 mph when stationary. Upon
accelerating 3 of the sensors "come alive" immediately. The left front wheel
"comes alive" at 12 mph, which is triggering the traction active message. I
replaced the wheel bearing/speed sensor assembly with new, but problem
still exists. What could be causing this?

87,365

When you accelerate, are any of the wheel spinning?

Best Answer Mark helpful
87,365

Like on snow I mean...

no this is on dry pavement

120,425

Do you have mixed sized tires?

87,365

Like on my car when I turn on the traction control, a tire light comes on to indicate that it is on. Would this be the case? And you do not need it on driving on dry pavement.

they are all new Michelin same size tires. This Denali has traction control on as default mode, and should be running in the "dark Indicator", which is normally on. When the light is on (tire with the bar across it) is traction control "OFF", and not the normal driving condition. This speed sensor also drops off to default mode (3mph), and sets off the Anti-Lock brake system when slowing below 12 mph. (like sensing a wheel lock up). At speeds above 12 mph, the Left Front sensor is running equal to all three other sensors. It is only the L/F sensor that is doing this. I have cleaned the connector, replaced the speed sensor then the wheel bearing hub/speed sensor assembly, and the problem still exists.

When the "traction active" indication comes on, it reduces the engine power to idle because it thinks there is wheel slippage, because the other 3 are spinning up and the L/F is still at the default (3mph). Once above 12mph, everything works normal until slowing below 12 mph again.

87,365

Ok did some digging, this is a quote... "To fix the problem, remove the front wheel speed sensors and clean any rust buildup from the sensor mounting area on the hub. Rust will hold the sensor away from the reluctor wheel and will diminish the signal." So check that distance to the reluctor wheel.

87,365

The air gap will cause the sensor to drop signal sooner than the rest and mimic a stopped or slipping wheel.

This event continued with the NEW bearing/hub/speed sensor assembly.

87,365

I know, but it sounds like it has to do with the air gap.

87,365

I see what you say, all one assembly so the reluctor is built in with the speed sensor mounted on the side. I would say it is a faulty speed sensor. I would change the hub bearing assembly out, have it warrantied. Between the sensor and the reluctor there is too wide of gap for the signal.

I have the same problem. Had both front wheel hub assemblies replaced and still get "Traction Active". Anything else I can look at?

Here is what I just discovered. I replaced my front hubs about a year ago. The part included its own abs sensors. The left front abs sensor failed yesterday and I ordered an AC Delco genuine replacement part. When replacing the sensor that was included with the hub I noticed it had a shim under it. Not giving it much thought, I used the shim with the new AC Delco sensor. Replacing the sensor turned of the abs and traction control light and all was good I thought. As I drove it later it would seem to stall after a stop and the traction active message would appear. Seconds later the car would take off as normal. I did more research and found the gap between the sensor and tooth ring was critical. I took everything apart again and measured the length of the new sensor vs the old sensor. The new sensor was quite a bit shorter! I removed the shim from under the new sensor and all was good. With too wide a gap at low speed the sensor does not generate enough voltage and it makes the abs computer think the wheel is not turning and thus cuts power to the engine to control the perceived slip. Once you get rolling the voltage is sufficient to turn the traction control back off.