Low oil pressure mind boggled

10

Asked by Mar 07, 2016 at 12:47 AM about the 2006 GMC Yukon Denali AWD

10

Hello! Thank you guys for having me here! I'm a complete noob but still learning as much a I can. I own a 2006 yukon denali and my heart lies in this model. I'm having retarded issues with low oil pressure an I can't understand it for the life of me. I would greatly appreciate if somebody could point me in the right direction. The Car currently has 180k mileage done and I've slowly been restoring it. Everything has even running fine for the last 4 months of purchasing it. Inclusive of things I've changed. I've changed te solenoid valves, water pump, shock absorbers, done rust proofing, new tires / rims etc. After everything suddenly one day after all these months the oil pressure gauge dropped and the idiot light and warning tones came out full beeping. Only when I rev it goes back up but not to the 275 marker. Just to the quarter marker before it. (I'm assuming each marker is 37.5 psi?). Anyways I've now replace the oil pump, the oil pressure sensor and another oil switch all from AC Delco. There admit any knocking noise to what I keep reading. Engine runs quiet. Replace the gaskets, cleaned out the entire oil pan and from timing cover etc. Replaced the oil filter change the oil. Started the car up it jumps up to the first little marker and stays there. When I rev or drive normally it goes steady to 75psi the fat quarter marker. It only gives me this light and beeping noise when I sit idle in traffic or t a red light. It's so frustrating. I've to shift into neutral and keep revving. No matter what I've done everything is still the same. I've cleaned and replaced everything I can think of. Is it the oil I'm using? Ever since I did an oil change it went stupid. Do I have to replace my whole engine? I know high mileage engine pressure drop happens. Any suggestions? I would truly be grateful truly. Is It the oil filter?. I can't figure this out, even the mechanics are bogged and trying the same things. I love you guys!

10

There is no knocking or ticking noise whatsoever. Sorry for this autocorrect crap.

10

Is the oil pressure sending unit the same as oil pressure sensor? If I start up the car and sit idle it's completely fine sitting on the first marker, no stutters or engine noise nothing. This only happens when I idle in traffic after driving then everything goes apeshit in the car with te warning alarms and lights etc meh.

1,610

Are housing oil recommended for car, u should. Did u try compression test? Any codes showing?

Best Answer
10

Yes done the compression tests no codes. Thank you for responding Mik! I was getting worried there. I'll try again today at another garage for pressure check. Also when I turn the key to ON but not start the engine. All the gauges move. Except the oil pressure gauge. It just sits at 0

10

Housing oil? What is that? Sorry little sheepish I feel

10

At I ask is the oil pressure sending unit and the oil pressure sensor the same thing? So many confusing people saying yes and no to this. If it is then I replaced a sensor and a switch. If not then I'll get a search for a sending unit.

10

Anybody?

1,610

I meant using not housing, sorry. Compression test is test done seperate from codes, u know that right? Are cylinders reading correct pressure? When oil light goes on is rpm's dropping real low, ready to die low? If so could be idle control sensor. Go to rock auto.com and enter the sensors u have a question about, c if they come up different. They should b the same. Is your engine filled to correct oil level? Is the dipstick OK, not damaged and maybe giving u an off reading? Jus throwing ideas out there. Did u do something wen u changed the oil to cause it?

10

Oh wonderful!!! Yes I haven't got any codes and I'm not gettin any pressure issues from the test. I haven't had the light go of with all the driving I did today. Next time it drops I will be sure to check the rpm when light goes on to have a clear answer!. The oil level is filled correctly but I will check the dipstick and the oil level again just to be sure again for the enth time. All I did was change the oil and oil filter and when my DIC said oil health at 89% is when this happened. I'm using the correct that is written in the car manual. The oil filter also I've changed again and using the one for this specific model cause I opened it up and it wasn't dirty or trashed. Maybe it's the oil viscosity? But I think you're right it might be a sensor issue or an off reading. I will check and let you know thank you so much truly for the ideas I grately appreciate it.