Smoke coming out dashboard but floor not wet

Asked by Oct 11, 2014 at 12:33 PM about the 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD

19,000

If its's smoke there is probably an electrical problem. Did it smoke with the key on or off? Does your Liberty have an aftermarket radio, remote start or alarm? If it does look at those areas first. If not your going to have to try looking for wire damage behind the dash.

2,445

Your floor not being wet, leads me to believe you think it's a leak in the coolant from the heater core, BUT smoke???, are you sure it is not steam, does the smoke, or steam smell sweet?if you have the air conditioner on and it is in defrost mode, it often looks like steam. If it is a burnt smell, it's a electrical short some where under the dash, The auto controls on the fan, temp, and selector on that model, are notorious for breaking down. hope this helps