Alright guys, so i got a handmedown 2005 jeep wrangler a while back and the doors have never been removed so the dirt and rust build up is awful, is there any home remedy or rust removal i could use?

Asked by Jul 19, 2015 at 05:09 PM about the 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

97,125

PB Blaster works fairly well, but when all else has failed, I have used just plain old diesel fuel.

Alright ill give that a go, thanks

20,525

Sorry to say this, but, rust is the kiss of death in cars and there's virtually nothing you can do to stop it completely. Don't get caught in this quicksand. Plus, Jeeps are some of the lowest rated cars and require a lot of repairs. My advice is sell it and get an Asian vehicle.

400

Bare the metal . Use zinc chromate primer first then cheap stinky rust paint stinker the better.. enough zinc will stop rust.. closest thing you'll get to galvanizing... also u can use a rust converter product.. i usually cut the rust out and weld fresh metal in then coat with zinc chromate.. my body work usually last for many years..

20,525

Sure, you can try and clean up the rust, but, repairs are a different story. See this link, http://www.truedelta.com/2005-Jeep- Wrangler/repair-histories-146

20,525

Jeep Wranglers are some of the lowest rated vehicles in Consumers Reports for reliability despite their off road prowess. If you really need a vehicle like that, fine, but, it's going to be a maintenance nightmare. And, you're already seeing rust problems that will only get worse as the car ages. Look, it's obviously your money and decision, but, I wouldn't advise anyone to get a car or truck that has a history of mechanical failure and is frequently on the Consumers Reports list of cars to avoid. What would you do if you were to get stuck out in the middle of nowhere with this thing and have no cell phone coverage to come bail you out? Better keep on top of that maintenance. Have you considered a Subaru Outback?

Markw1952, I have a 2002 Tacoma that has been great, almost zero maintenance. I also have a 1991 Jeep Wrangler that has never given me any problems. I purchased both these vehicles new. I also had a 2003 Altima that was good for the first 7 months and after that it was issue after issue. I had to get a new engine installed and finally last year had to junk it. I also own a 2004 jeep and it runs great

20,525

My condolences on the 2003 Altima. Nissan makes the most inconsistent vehicles, I don't like their cars. Take a look at this, http://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/Altima/2003/

20,525

Ivan- the Toyota Tacoma is a workhorse and they just keep going, almost need a silver bullet. And, the Jeeps from the early 90s like yours is definitely better than later years. It's interesting how a models image changes over time, don't you think. For example, I had a 95 Honda Accord, great car, kept it almost 20 years. In the early 2000s and later by 2008, it was considered a car to avoid, repairs and maintenance went through the roof. So, you've almost need to be a Svengali to know with a crystal ball which is going to be good when you purchase new. I'm extremely lucky that I chose the 2010 Subaru Outback, even with some miles on the vehicle, over a newer model. Why? They changed the engine design in 2013 and apparently, there's many problems out there. You've got to ask yourself , why mess with success? I guess there's always going to be someone who comes up with some new design and it doesn't always work out the way it was planned. See this link, http://www.carcomplaints.com/Subaru/Outback/

400

Of coarse their built to fail now a days. Look at Obama s stupid cash for clunkers thing.. I'm from Canada but that's the stupidist thing I've ever heard.. eventually if you Americans keep that up you won't have used vehicles for sale haha or any decent parts in a junk yard. That's your fine government out to force you to buy new cars. Because they bailed all their assessment out lol.. And any new car is pretty much junk .. i prefer to own and drive vehicles that are tried tested and true. Like an old Honda or the right chrysler s and so on. As for maintenance welcome to the club of owning something mechanical .. ran by electronics. That are exposed to the elements ... will it fail? Of coarse it's inevitable. . No if ands or buts about it. If your jeep has an old 4 l in it good .. if it's a 3.7 idk hit and miss. And honestly to new to know anything lol.. but that's like any new car. Nobody knows. To new hahaha

400

To answer your question kind sir. Why mess with success? Well if they designed cars that didn't break or rust. Then they wouldn't sell new cars. I could build cars that would last decades without issues. But then again so can they. U see? Why don't they put copper zinc lines in your new car? They nvr rust good for 10 15 years. Why don't they use more stainless steel? Or galvanize? Why don't they keep the same engines they've been using for years? Well some do.. bmw for instance. I drive a 99 328i same engine design for years. Very reliable low maintenance engine. Will run up millions if taken care of. Dodge 318 magnum. Wow there's an engine. If you got a broken one then it's your own damn fault or someone else's. Small block Chevy . There yea go .. Blame your government not the auto manufacturer.. your dollar is based on what your people purchase. Your money is printed on debt. Because your economy is failing. Blame Nixon .. he sold your asses the minute he alow ed the federal Reserve to print money with no association to gold.. that doomed your country and economy . So u see ? You need a throw away society .. you need people spending and borrowing so they can keep printing your monopoly money lol. Because you have no industry it was outsourced years ago. The only industries left are for your own people and in a dying economy and a country with people with no money what good is that? It's actually sad to see it all... fucking bankers they own us all now. The problem is much deeper rooted you see?