2005 jeep liberty turn signal blinking fast when bulb has been replaced twice. HELP!

Asked by May 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM about the 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD

I have a 2005 jeep liberty 3.7L and i have a problem with just my front right turn signal
not working. the dash flashes as if the bulb is out but i have replaced it twice and
switched it with the left front turn signal unit and still nothing. Here is the thing, when a
trailer is attached it works only until the brake pedal is pressed then the indicator on
the dash flashes as if the bulb was burnt out.  The light socket has power running to it
because the light works when i turn them on its only the turn signal that isn't working. I
am so lost on what it could be, I've seen people mention that it could be the hazard
switch or there could be a short tho I've done some wire tracing and i haven't found any
chaffing on the exposed wires. I'm wondering if it was the switch then why does it make
the ticking sound as if the switch is properly functioning. could just that part of the
relay be faulty?  I'm stumped any help would be awesome!

98,165

"The light socket has power running to it because the light works when i turn them on its only the turn signal that isn't working." The light socket has two power wires going to it and a ground. The one power wire is for the running lights. The other power wire is for the turn signal.

You probably need a heavy duty flasher unit. OEM flashers are not meant to carry the extra current trailer lights add.