Dealer non responsive to problem

Asked by Sep 11, 2016 at 02:53 PM about the 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD

On July 11, 20012, I took delivery of a 2005 Jeep Liberty that I found on Auto Gurus, and purchased thru Auto Wholesalers of Rockville Maryland.  On my drive home (approximately 94 miles, the transmission overheating light came on, and a check engine light came on. The next day, we took it to our mechanic to check out.  He said I had a transmission issue, and recommended a shop that had a very reputation for this type of work.  We took the vehicle to him that afternoon for him to examine.  The next day, we picked up the vehicle, and were told by the shop owner to return it.  There were major problems with the transmission, issues with the cooling system, and ignition issues.  We called Auto Wholesalers, and they told us to have it towed to them.  This we did, at a cost of $550.00 for a 94 mile tow.  We were told they are evaluating the problems.  We were in contact with them two weeks later and they said they were still evaluating the problem.  This is the last contact that we have had with them.  All calls from us, and our attorney, have not been returned, including a certified letter that stated that after this length of time, we would like our money returned.  What is your screening process for dealers, and is there anyway that you can contact the dealer on our behalf.  This has greatly soured our shopping experience with Auto Gurus.  This was our second purchase thru Auto Gurus.  In December 2015, I purchased a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I found thru Auto Gurus at Bedford Chrysler Dodge Jeep of Bedford, PA. It was a great experience, but this latest purchase was the total opposite.

1,255

I would contact whatever you would call "trading standards" someone who can enforce the law on what seems to be a bad dealer and threaten to take them to court.

56,865

Depends on where you live. Laws vary from State to State. In New Jersey, for example, if you buy a 12 year old vehicle you're on your own! Unless you buy some kind of used car warranty. Unfortunately I don't think you have much of a case. Unless, of course, the law in your State says differently. I am glad you contacted an Attorney. They'll be able to advise you on the law as it applies to you in this case in your area. Good luck!! HTH. -Jim

31,625

You should not ask for legal help here, that is what your attorney gets paid for. Your attorney should be able to advise the next step. If you didn't get any type of written warranty you probably are S>O>L>.