Water leaks inside

200

Asked by Oct 20, 2010 at 11:56 AM about the 2006 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD

Rain water gets in somehow and the front passenger side carpet gets wet. It has a sunroof, but I'm not sure where it's coming from. Any ideas?
Thanks.

155

do you have any aftermarket electronics installed?

200

Thanks for getting back to me. No aftermarket electronics, all stock. I've learned it could be coming in from the roof rack, windshield, or sunroof. I was able to get water to run out of each drain hose in all 4 corners, so it must be something else. I've only owned it for a few months. I'm not sure if the previous owner had this happen. Is this a common problem with these Jeeps?

155

I'm not sure if its common or not.... but it happened to me and one of the plugs in the firewall had come loose and water was getting in that way.. also do u run ur A/C a lot?

200

The strange thing is that we haven't even driven it yet, so we haven't been able to run the A/C. We basically just drove it home and parked it in the driveway. We got a lot of rain about a week later, and I opened the passenger door and noticed the floor mat was wet, as well as the carpet.

155

Oh I see... I would check the firewall first just because it easy, then like u mentioned the sunroof seal.I'm afraid I don't have too much info other than that, id have to see it myself ya know?

200

Yeah, I understand. Well thanks again. I guess at some point i'll take it somewhere to be checked. Take care.

155

Sorry I couldn't be more help, good luck!

1,265

check the door seals. they are known to shrink and leave unsealed portions. you also may be able to hear it while driving down the road

200

Ok, thanks Andrew. I read somewhere to run water over different areas of the windshield, doors, sunroof, and roof rack while someone is inside to see where it's coming in. They said to start at the lowest point and slowly move the hose up to the roof area. I'll try that when the weather gets better. If I can find it myself, I'll save a lot of money!

10

I have had the same problem with my 2006 Liberty. I know that the sun roof drain plug collects debris. An air hose is a way to blow it out. Ive ripped the door off and looked at the front hood area and taken apart the door and the drain plug was fine to the hood area. I have not looked at the firewall plugs.

200

Nathan, thanks for the info. I was able squirt water into the four sunroof drain tubes with a large sryinge (as you know, they're difficult to reach) and the water came out from underneath the vehicle, so I guess they're not clogged. I ran water all over the hood, windshield, sunroof and roofrack, but no water came in. I'm hoping it was just a one time thing because it was sitting in the rain for several days.

50

Did you ever find out what was going on?? Mine is doing the same exact thing and my floor board is FLOODED!

200

Actually, I'm not quite sure what caused it. It hasn't happened since then (when it was left parked outside , not being used). We just bought it a few weeks before I noticed it, so I wonder if the dealer left the window down when it rained? Whatever it was, I think it caused the fan motor under the dash to fail. When I took it out, it looked like water damage (rust, corrosion, etc). Hopefully you'll get your answer soon!

70

Our 2009 Liberty leaked front passenger side for the first time since the vehicle was new. Had a very heavy rain resulting in a 2" pond on the floor. Try taping the sunroof with wide packing or duct tape and wait for rain or go to a high pressure car wash. If you don't get a leak you can be certain it's the sunroof drains plugged causing the problem. If you do get water you have at least ruled out one of the possible sources.

40

All with a Jeep Liberty need to go to http://jeepsunroofleak.com/ There is a class action suit over the sunroof leaking. I have a 2011 and it continuously leaks and dealer says it is not covered under my extended warranty. We need everyone with this problem to come forward so we can hopefully get it repaired for good.

120

Have a 2004 Liberty started leaking front passenger side. Found the water coming in from around the boot between the door and the body where the wires for the windows and electric door lock go into the door. Hope this helps answer any unsolved questions.

30

Wow, this is a long running thread. I have an '05 (low mileage, 14,000) Liberty and through water pouring, process of elimination figured out it's leaking into the passenger side through the windshield. I can't be sure if it's through the top or side, but it's certainly through the passenger half of the windshield and down, inside the pillar. I'm guessing the rough winter and time in general cracked the seal, also, older style Liberty's (and maybe the new design, I don't know for sure) don't have a rubber top to their windshields which seems it would make it prone to such a water seal failure.

I have the same problems: water on the floor of the passenger side. Thank You to all!

40

I have a 2008 liberty, having the same problem very frustrating! : ((

10

Im having the same problem with my 2008 jeep liberty they resealed the sun roof one time & refuse to fix it again its been leaking since I got it like 2 years ago it now smells musty & ive got water stains around the top of the passenger door & around the sun roof & the passenger side floor is always wet when it rains before it was the drivers side

I have the same prob w/ an '05 liberty, in Florida no rain conditions, but the A/C is on all the time. Any suggestions.

Same issue with my 2009 liberty. Drivers side floor board flooded with water after extremely heavy rains. Never noticed this from snow melt in the winter but there is something about the force of rain that causes it to get in. Have only owned the car for 9 months. Seals on the door look fine. Have not checked the sunroof drain or the firewall plugs. I'm hoping to resolve this before there is any permanent mildew or mold problem.

10

Just purchased used 2011 70th Anniversary Wrangler Unlimited and the passenger side both front and rear have shown the same wet/damp rugs. Has anyone eliminated the door jam on that side? It seems that the water initially spreads from under the passenger to the front and rear. The front space directly under the dash is not moist or wet at all. The moisture is contained to the lower floorboard rug area and straight thru to the rear rugs. My theory is that the water run off from the sun roof and the seal by the door jam somehow directs the water flow behind or into the door jam and into the vehicle mostly likely underneath the back part of the front seat and spreads from their. Feel the inside weather stripping in the corners of the door jams and see if they are wet. There where no signs of water anywhere near the windshield or windows or doors on the passenger side. It only happened during a heavy heavy rain but wet rugs equal mildew and mold. Not sure if I'm right or not so please help.

20

I also have water on the passenger side floor after rain. I pulled the side panel off (Plastic Panel/kick plate) down by the floor and noticed that there was a slot that is used as a guide to properly align that panel, water sloshed out of that slot. There is a steel plate right near this slot (be-careful it has sharp edges ) I found the water while backing up and stopping abruptly. I have not gone any further with this process but hope this helps others find where and how the water is getting in there car. next weekend I am going to do more investigating of how the water gets there. will post if I figure it out.

220

This is the problem and easy fix. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N45oQ6mDBX8

I have a 07 Commander and the roof leaks if I go through a car wash right above the windshield..nothing with rain though. And just this week we had a big snow and I noticed our passenger floor flooded. This is the first time I have seen this happen but I haven't had a big snow yet either.

40

I bought a 2006 Jeep Liberty 5 months ago.....no sunroof......and ever since the first rain I have had SOAKED floorboards....mainly on the passenger side......Windshield has been replaced.....still having issues.....we are getting heavy rain here right now and it smells like musty cat pee!!!!!! I CANNOT stand it anymore! I am pulling out the carpet and seats and if I can't find it I am going to go crazy! In response to an earlier post.....I also had my A.C. fan literally fall on the floor of the passenger side within a week of purchasing......they "fixed" that and said there was a clog.in the ac entrance and that they blew out all of the debris and everything was good by doing that and replacing the windshield...Well it is NOT!!!!!! Help!!!!!

50

We just bought a 2003 Jeep Liberty. Soon after the first rain storm, the drivers side front and back were soaked. Today we lifted the carpet in the rear of the vehicle and the pad under the carpet is dripping wet. It doesn't have an odor so I'm assuming it's a new problem. There have not been any updates to electronics and this model does not have a sunroof. This leak is much bigger than a AC hose or a leaking windshield. Anyone have any updated ideas?

25

Water is leaking through the plastic strips on the roof.

120

Fixed it on mine, and it was a no-brainer once I saw it. Pull the cowl and windshield wipers off and clean out all the leaves and pollen and leaves from out of that area. There are drains on either side for water to escape. Mine were plugged with pollen buds. When doing this, you will notice Chrysler does not seal the area underneath the windshield. When water builds up in this area it will flood back up under the windshield and run back down the firewall into the floor.

30

I bought a 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet last year in the fall. Parked in our paved driveway during a heavy rain storm, I immediately had soaked front passenger side floor rugs. Water soaked a whole large box of tissues and bubbled up when I pressed down on the carpeting. I passed this off as maybe having left the window open a bit but then after the first winter storm, melting ice water dropped on my head when I was driving! My dealership took the two drains on either side of the sunroof apart and replaced them. This seemed to fix it for awhile, but now it is summer and I just noticed that the carpets are wet on both sides in the front and there is white mold around the floormats. The front and passenger seat metal hinges are rusting! This Jeep had been sitting on the dealer lot under a whole bunch of large trees with falling leaves when I bought it. I am going to try John's idea about the cowl & wipers drains. If that doesn't work, I will have the dealer check the firewall plugs. This is definitely a BIG problem as ANY water in the cabin compartment can be VERY damaging. (I've already lost some dashboard display lights!)

10

Same thing happened to my gf's jeep this morning!! I was freaking out but noticed that the water was dripping underneath the glove

10

Same thing happened to my gf's jeep this morning!! I was freaking out but noticed that the water was dripping from underneath the glove box. I knew that there were a lot of wires there so decided to see if the car would still run properly, because she had to go to work. When I turned it on I noticed she left her ac on which in turn leaves the vent open. I shut it off and almost immediately the dripping stopped. When I got home from work I investigated more and opened up the glove box and shined a light in the back. While doing this I turned the ac on and the vent opened i then noticed that there were water droplets inside the vent still. I'm hopping this was the only issue. I pulled the rug up and it was still soaked with all the wires sitting in it. I have it stuffed with towels and the door cracked hoping that it gets dry :( nobody want mildew! Hope this helps guys!!!

10

My Jeep Liberty is a 2005, parked inside a heated garage nights and weekends and in a covered parking garage during the day. Notice paint bubbling around the third taillight - near the roof. Just got it diagnosed today and the news is extremely bad. Some kind of defect and I will need to have the entire roof replaced . . it is almost rusted through. Body shop says this is NOT normal. Only 65,000 miles on my baby and I'm so upset. I'm told water should start leaking in soon. She's in immaculate condition otherwise.

20

I have watched a video on YouTube by "desmo" called Jeep Grand Cherokee wet floor causes. Very informative and actually showed the leaking water coming in through the door from 10 seconds of spray with a hose. Going to try his ideas at home. Might also explain why my power mirrors keep malfunctioning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM5feWK1UnU

20

I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty have had it since 2004 without an issue until winter (rainy season for Texas) 2014. That is when my front passenger side floorboard stated getting flooded with each and every hard rain. I have resealed the sunroof myself and that didn't help. I have actually been in the car while it was leaking and found there are two different spot. One is coming from a tiny hole that is in the passenger side sun visor so it leaks right in front of the seat down beside the console. The other one is draining from the right door well wall. Open the door and you will see what looks like a drain spout there that isn't attached to anything - just opened and flows down the door frame with then spills into the passenger floor and not outside the jeep. If anyone can suggest ways of preventing these it would be greatly appreciated.

20

found this video - might help some people --- I am definately going to get someone to take a look at mine and see it that is the problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FGBv0pYlSk

i just got my radiator replaced and I didn't drive it at all after bringing it home and parking on the street. It rained hard. Very first time water goes to my passenger side. I did notice the dashboard was wet.

I have an 02 jeep liberty and ever since I bought it every single time it rains my floor boards are soaked, it's been raining here for a few days and I just went out and got in my car, both floor boards are wet.. driver side looks like you can swim in it, my passenger seat is also soaked.. I hate it! I'm done with this, someone needs to start a lawsuit!

i purchased a 2008 jeep liberty about 2 years ago at first everything was good and then late into 2014 i noticed my headliner around the front driver door was damp so i went and talked to my dealership about they recommended replacing sunroof seal so i did myself (you save so much money when you do it yourself). Time goes by and about august of 2015 my headliner starts to feel damp again after a heavy rain so i started getting frustrated and took a day off and got my water hose and put it on my sunroof and got inside and had my friend turn water hose on. So it started running down windshield then i noticed the headliner by driver door in the front started to drip. Shut off water and noticed the plastic piece about 7-9 inches in length in front of the roof rack was directly above the leak so i went and bought some clear silicone sealant and sealed around it and repeated the process of using the garden hose to mimic the rain and voila no more leak. 2016 now and i got another leak by rear driver side headliner so i figured the best fix was to say **** it and i let it go. Saved me so much stress and embarrassment. I will never buy another JEEP again.

10

i also have a 2002 jeep liberty its leaking both sides to floor mat loos like its coming from around the dash and it gets wet by the visers

45

I had the same problem and got it fixed by replacing the door seals. It took me a while to figure out where water was coming from. I ended up removing my carpet to observe where water was coming from. Split of my door seal was not at the bottom allowing water to come inside the car. Changed the door seal and my problem went away.

I have a 2010 Jeep liberty. Water collected on driver side floor. Anying new information getting this fix thru Jeep.