is there a way to reconfigure how the automatic door locks work on a 1999 ford explorer eddie bauer edition? When you start to drive, all the doors lock. When you put it into park, only the drivers door unlocks. I would like it if all doors unlock when shifting into park.

Asked by Mar 11, 2013 at 06:57 PM about the 1999 Ford Explorer 4 Dr Eddie Bauer AWD SUV

5

it works fine at first u get them but later on become so slow

365

whats wrong with just pressing the unlock button, all four doors unlock then. its just one push :P but no i dont know anyway to do that.

17,930

You have to live with it. My biggest problem with the way the system works is, the way it works. Being from So. Louisiana there are many times I go for short hops during mildweather with the windows down. If I will be away from the vehicle for only a few short seconds, I'll leave the windows down, but from force of habit, push the lock button down and close the door. When returning I'll use the key when I return instead of the fob. Well, the engine is dead at that point. No juice, nothing when you turn the key. You have to cycle the fob from lock to unlock in order to deactivate the system so it will start. It really had the locksmith bumfuzzled when he was trying to program a new ignition switch and key and couldn't get the thing to start.

80

Turn key on, don't start, push unlock button on drivers door 3x Turn key off, push unlock button on drivers door 3x, Turn key on, push unlock button once, lock button once, turn key off. Horn will toot a couple of times and automatic locks are disengaged. You now lock and unlock doors like any normal vehicle. If you miss the locking doors for some strange reason, repeats the steps and you'll get it back.

Thankx for the response. I finally got to try it today. IT WORKS. Again, thank you very much. Maybe u can help me with something else. I'm trying to find a schematic wiring diagram of the radio in my 1999 Eddie Bauer Explorer. The radio works, the display lights up. What doesn't work is the illumination of the buttons and dials. Can u help? I also need a a diagram of the parking brake system for the same car. The brakes were changed by the previous owner but they do not hold. The parking brake pedal travels the correct distance to engage the parking brake, but nothing. Can u also help with this? thanks again. Bertlar.

17,930

The parking brakes on your vehicle are separate from brakes on the two rear wheels. The disc brakes must be removed, then the rotors which will expose the parking brake shoes. If you are familiar with older type brake shoes, they are the same, just smaller. Personally, I have never seen these shoes need replacing as they just hold the vehicle stationary while parked. You may have a problem with the linkage or the mechanicals inside the the shoe brakes are stuck. Anyway, if you have ever changed the brakes and rotors on the rear wheels, you will see the brake shoes once the rotor is off. They are positioned directly behind the axel end where the lug nuts are mounted. As for the radio, some have removable front led panels that can be replaced if that is not what is lighting up. Knockoff lookalike replacement radios can be purchased for about a hundred bucks.

Thanks for your reply, but not exactly what I'm looking for. I Know the configuration of the parking brake. What I need is some kind of diagram showing how they are installed. As I said previously, the rear brakes were previously changed before I got the vehicle. I'm not sure if the parking brake mechanism was reinstalled properly. A diagram or even a vedio would be very helpful. Thank you.

17,930

Could not locate anything free on line relative to the parking brakes. However, I do have the Haynes Repair Manual for the 99 Explorer and it does have illustrations and procedures for the parking brake replacement, cable replacement, and adjustment. The manual number is 36024. Hope it helps.

Hi, you can go to YouTube and see a few good videos on fixing the radio lights. Basically, all of these style radios have bad solder on the power supply circuit board. This is NOT a hard fix but takes about an hour total. Simply remove all the bad older solder from the board and resolver each connection. Reinstall and everything should work perfectly including the cd player and all lights. Hope that helps.