While driving my automatic 04 Accord randomly loses all power and doesn't respond when I press the gas

Asked by Feb 20, 2013 at 08:13 PM about the 2004 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6

Okay so randomly my 04 accord will completely lose all power. All my dashboard lights come on , power
steering locks up and I cannot accelerate. If I turn the car off and back on it's perfectly fine. I in the past 4
months put a battery in, I was having a hard time finding my specific battery but found one where the
terminals were on the opposite side of what it needed. I was able to flip it and rig it to work but now I am
wondering if this is the cause?

The car has  140k on it and no maintenance light comes up. Any suggestions?

-Darla

299,425

Check your battery cables, one or both might be loose, corroded and or shorting causing your issue. Also check the ground wire in particular and see if the connection is solid to the car.

755

It's not very common on that year of accord but ignition switch could be faulty(the electrical portion). Try playing with the key to see if will keep running if you hold the key in a slightly different position that it would go to normally when you release the key after starting it.

4,935

I agree with Tom it could be the battery cables. it also could be your battery. Had it happen to me once while i was driving my 07 accord. replaced the battery with a new one and hasnt happened since

20

Did you find the root cause?

30

I am having the same trouble with my 2004 Honda Accord. Just curious if the problem was ever foung or if anyone knows of a solution?

Having similar problem with my 02 accord its at the dealer for third day now and they haven't figured it out. I am afraid to turn in front of traffic or go on freeway for fear of losing power. Will come bqck with response when I hear the verdict

80

I'm having similar issue with my '05 Accord - all power dies and then restores within few seconds. Scary at night driving on highway and all lights and dash go out. Has anyone figured out their root cause?

We have a 1999 honda civic that does exactly that. Mechanic changed the alternator and it helped for awhile but happened again. the next step they said was a tune up, clean the spark plugs. I will check the battery cables because no one mentioned that to me before. I also wondered if fuel was getting clogged? I'll probably get rid of it if they cannot figure it out.

My 04 Honda accord has jst started doin this. Dies while driving blows a fuse and won't start again. Put a fuse back in and starts up again . does anyone no why this is happening

I don't have an answer that's why I'm here