My 2005 Honda Accord EX seems to be burning a lot of gas.

Asked by Mar 27, 2016 at 01:20 PM about the 2005 Honda Accord Coupe EX

I recently bought a 2005 Honda Accord Ex and it has been services regularly, however it seems that it is burning a lot of gas.

265

I'm assuming this a 4 cylinder Accord...probably automatic? First I must insist that you actually fill the tank (and I am not sure how many gallons that one holds), reset your mileage odometer, and then drive it until you are as near to empty as you dare. Then check your mileage vs gallons used. You have to be driving in the same scenarios and conditions regularly to even start this comparison. But all things being equal you should consider the following: 1) Check the spark plugs...replacing them is cheap and very cost effective in the battle for fuel economy. Regular service does not always include the needed replacement of these little babies... and I do mine twice a year! Now, are the plugs covered in a rich residue of un-burnt fuel or are they nice and dry with ideal burn signature? The plugs are the window to the soul of a vehicle...visual inspection and early replacement are they way! Let me know what you see, and then I can attempt to track down your fuel gremlin...

265

2) Tire pressure is a commonly overlooked condition which can greatly effect mileage. Check em weekly! I prefer to be on the high side of inflation recommendations, especially if I'm looking for additional fuel economy.

265

3) Check the air-filter and replace if needed... and preferably use a high quality, clean, K+N filter element. Paper filters get clogged and cannot be re-used. Spend a few extra bucks to get a lifetime filter element which can be cleaned, oiled, and put right back in there.

265

4) Scan that puppy with your ordinary OBD2 gear and make sure there aren't any sensors out of specs. Also when its warmed up, have a whiff of the exhaust (in moderation of course),...it should not be excessively rich. Do you smell gas? Heck make sure there are no external leaks!!!! I could go on, but I hope this helps.