when in 4wd something popped and now it's like in neutral no gears or park

25

Asked by Aug 26, 2013 at 03:12 PM about the 1999 Ford Expedition 4 Dr Eddie Bauer 4WD SUV

when it was in 4wd something popped now it has no gears or park however transmission is shifting & speedometer is registering. Vehicle will not move like it's in neutral.

97,095

So you may have broken the tail shaft inside the tranny, stripped the input splines in the transfer case or damaged the selector for shifting the transfer case and it is stuck in neutral.

25

Transfer case is right behind the transmission output shaft. Is that correct? Looking under the car could see nothing broken or leaking. Can put it into gear with wheels jacked up & no noises, wheels do not turn speedometer is registering the speed & transmission seems to shift, but wheels do not turn.

97,095

Yes that is correct, right behind the tranny. I believe that you are going to have to remove the transfer case shift drive motor assembly first, do that then see if you can turn the selector shaft manually, if it turns and changes modes then you may have just only damaged the shift motor gear drive if it don't then you will need to remove the transfer case to check for further damage.

25

I'll try that tomorrow, is the transfer case easy to change, does transmission have to come out also or can I remove it in the car. I have a lift and many years mechanic experience, but have never done one of these.

97,095

You can do it without removing the trans and they aren't too difficult to R&R, I think it takes more time just getting setup and dropping the drivelines than to remove the transfer case.

25

I pulled the motor and all seems to work properly moving the selector manually, thank GOD I was dreading having to pull the tranny or the transfer case.

97,095

So it sounds like all you need is a new transfer case shift motor assembly and they can be purchased at a parts store so that will save some dough over a dealer, just make sure that the selector shaft lines up properly when you put the new on. That's great that you won't have to dig into the tranny or transfer case.

My 2001 excursion sit most of the time but I just pulled it up to my garage door ( about five feet) then put it back in park turned it off, I went to move it up closer to the door and when I put it into drive it wouldn't move at all. It wouldn't move in any gear. I didn't hear any noise when I moved it. Anyone have any idea what the problem may be?