HID Headlights on a 2017 Hyundai Limited

Asked by Jul 16, 2017 at 10:04 PM about the 2017 Hyundai Sonata Limited

While driving at night in a dark road the HID healights seem to have a line
across the road and does not seem to reach as far as normal headlights.
Also, there seems to be two tab like extensions in the headlights presumably
because the housing covers up part of the headlight instead of going around
it. Have you heard if this is a normal feature of the HID head lights on this
model or is it a engineering design flaw? I took it to the dealer service center
where I bought it and said if they replaced it 5 times I would get the same
result. I am attaching a photo of the tabs hanging down which I talked about
above

10

Just came from the dealer - they could not fix my 2017 Sonata headlight -black line problem I tried a 2018 in the showroom and it was the same. These people who designed this headlight problem are stupid. Next step is the National Highway safety board. Monday morning for sure. How could anyone actually do this if they are in the business of producing cars and how di it pass the United States safety tests? More people being stupid. 9-15-17

60

Can you provide a follow-up? I’m seeing the same issue with a brand new 2018 Hyundai Sonota! Do ALL the Sonota’s have this problem?

60

I'm having the same issue with a 2018 Sonata Limited, without the tech package. What model do you have that has the headlight black line with notches issue?

20

I agree. We just bought the 2017 Sonata Limited for our daughter and the light issue is not only terrible, but I feel extremely dangerous. We brought in the car this week for this issue and with the service team, determined that it is a problem with the Limited's only. The non-limited version, if you look at the light assembly, although it looks the same, the entire bulb is encased in the metal/aluminum. When looking at the Sonata limited one, you will notice that the top edge of that same housing is cut off. The dealer ordered another light assembly as they didn't have a Limited in their lot, and he just called to tell me it looks identical. I will happily join any movement to get this rectified. It is dangerous as you can see in the attached photo. You can see that while driving on the freeway (I was the passenger), there is a big blacked out area that is directly in front of the driver against the left hand road line. Completely unsafe.

60

Just a few advenues I plan to pursue..... -Contact the BBB Auto Line -file a vehicle safety complaint with NHTSA, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration -call the local news station, consumer advocate, and have them drive and video the dark line/shadow and notches safety issue! It's time to warn other consumers. -In my opinion the consumer is being mislead by omission - Consumer Laws and Regulations - Unfair, deceptive, or abusive acts and practices - Hyundai is by omission, misleading the consumer. A reasonable consumer could not anticipate driving home a new 2018 Hyundai Sonata Limited car, and finding out there's a dark line/shadow and notches obstructing their view.

20

I have placed a complaint to the Hyundai Consumer affairs line and flagged it as a safety issue, which it evidently is. I have also just created a case with the NHTSA and forwarded along both pictures as well as a link to this website. I sure hope that this gets attention as it's so difficult to drive in the dark and I fear that we're going to miss seeing something in that dark spot until it's too late.

60

There are plenty of safety Complaints regarding the safety issue of obstructed windshield view due to the dark lines, and in my case 'flying' notches......omg! I'll add a complaint for the 2018 Hyundai Sonata Limited, I just bought. I'm just starting to get the word out..........why wasn't this something Car Guru's noted in their review????? NHTSA — EXTERIOR LIGHTING PROBLEMS 2016 HYUNDAI SONATA On a dark or dimly lit road the low beam headlights create a sharp boundary looking through the windshield with headlight illumination on the lower area and darkness on two thirds down from the top of the viewing area. It is as if the windshield has a line horizontally across it two thirds down in the field of view. The line bounces when the car bounces and dark upper portion can not be properly viewed through to see the road ahead. It is a safety issue due to poor visibility. The dealer has said a few times there is no issue and no reported issue. This is a continuous flaw in the car from when we first purchased in Nov 2015. - Hopkinton, MA, USA

60

The view driving at night with the dark line and notches across the windshield!

10

Same issue here... on a brand new, 2017 Tucson Limited. So it appears this shadow/notch problem isn't just on the Sonatas. I've already contacted Customer Affairs.

60

it's hard to imagine, a dark line and notches in your line of view, across the windshield. I have to send the picture for people to understand it. Hey SURPRISE, here's a new vehicle with a dark line and notches across your windshield!!! It's kinda like 'hey open an account at Wells Fargo, and get several other 'hidden' accounts opened'...........definitely a Hyundai scam of the consumer! Nothing at all in their advertising of the headlights!