Why is my heat not working properly? I have replaced the thermostat and flushed the heater core. The fan is working well.

Asked by Feb 13, 2014 at 08:50 PM about the 1999 Ford Escort 4 Dr SE Wagon

Heat problem:  The heater core is heating properly. It gets properly hot.  Water is circulating through the hoses and feels warm to the touch.  When I warm up the car, the heat works fine UNTIL I start moving.  The heat decreases to "luke cool" within a few minutes.  If I turn the heat off at the dial for about 10 minutes and then turn it back on again, I once again get very warm heat but only for several minutes.  If I turn the heat dial on/off/on/off repeatedly when it is running cool, there is no increase in heat. Could I have a problem with the vacuum motor for the heater control door in the heater box???  If so, exactly where is the vacuum motor for the heater control door? My manual does not show or describe.this in detail.  Thanks. Kate

20,685

Yes it could be the blend door actuator or the blend door broken inside the heater box.

I should think it's the door that channels the heat into either AC, heat, etc. My understanding is that there are 3? doors??? The heater box is a pretty big thing... I want to know the location of whichever door isn't working properly....? And... how accessible is it? How do I get to it?

20,685

It has one blend door that switches air from hot to cold. It is behind the dash. Usually you can take the radio out and see the actuator.The way to see which is bad is take the bolts out of the actuator, start the car, turn the heat on, turn the actuator by hand with the shaft in the heater box. If you feel heat it's the actuator, if it turns free and no heat it's the door and you usually have to replace the complete heater box.

30

is there a quick fix?

i do mot have a heater switch to shut or turn my heat on or off in my car and all it wants to do is blow cold air as im driving down the road due to i cant find the off and on switch to stop the cold air from coming into my car