can damage be caused by overfilling oil?

Asked by Mar 11, 2016 at 04:00 AM about the 1999 Ford Escort 4 Dr LX Sedan

This more of a follow up question about the same ford escort with the damaged #4 sparkplug.  I decided not to make repair on this car (too expensive) due to its value. I had loaned this car to my daughter while hers is being repaired. One thing I neglected to do was check the oil level before tearing down a bit. Well, I finally checked and found that it is way overfilled. The oil is about one and a half times over the full mark! So I am assuming that it has over 10 quarts of oil in it. I know she was on the highway when troubles began and was at idle when the engine suddenly stopped. Could this have caused the engine damage? Iam guessing yes but don't really know.

46,415

It is possible that an excessively high oil level can damage an engine. I would be curious to know how the oil level got that high and what exactly was damaged in the engine. Overfilling a couple of quarts likely wouldn't cause any issues.

5,305

pcv elbow would blow out...evap would be clogged with oil...performance would suffer...would start puffin' the blues....I'd look at the PCV elbow to make sure it still rattles..but I'm with Bob, it will be okay...barring gasket damage~

5,305

this boy is only five quarts...as I recall...one of them fillin' a virgin oil filter~

5,305

we would always make fun of the 1.9 liter Escort engine, because it Always had Valve noise...and we always put a can of STP in after the oil change to minimize the embarrassment~