car won't start

Asked by Aug 07, 2014 at 03:02 PM about the 1999 Ford Escort 4 Dr LX Sedan

replaced fuel pump; replaced  fuel pump relay switch. fuel shutoff valve ok. have power and
ground to fuel. no aound at fuel pump.  won't start

455

Check to see if the inertia switch has tripped. You can reset the switch by pushing the reset button located in the trunk or under the right side of the dash.

Best Answer

CHECKED THE INERTIA SWITCH AND IT HAS NOT TRIPPED. IS IT POSSIBLE THE SWITCH IS BAD

455

From e-how Unplug the wiring connector at the switch and test for power on one side of the connector and ground on the other side. This is the normal state of the circuit. Power comes from the fuel-pump relay, and ground is found through the fuel pump. If there is no power, but there is ground, the fuel pump relay or fuel pump fuse could be the defective part. No ground indicates a wiring problem to the fuel pump or a defective fuel pump. If you have power and ground, install a jumper wire to bypass the switch. If the engine will start and run normally, then the switch can be called defective. If the engine still does not start, check for power at the fuel pump. If there is power and ground at the fuel pump, then the fuel pump can be called defective.