Battery problems with a 2017 Subaru Outback

Asked by Sep 21, 2019 at 02:03 PM about the 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring

I have been following the thread on this site on the ongoing reports of battery drainage issues.  I have had similar issues with my car.  The dealers that I have brought the car to have told me that the battery checked out fine and that all systems were ok and to be careful to be sure that no interior lights are left on (the hatchback light is the most reported culprit) and that the key should not be left near the battery.  I have taken care of all of these potential issues however the problem persists.  I have also been told that if I were to replace the factory installed battery with a more "powerful" one it would void the warranty and that the electrical system could be compromised.  Any advice out there?  I am prepared to, as others have reported, to upgrade the battery.

245,985

The dealer is lying about the battery replacement.

I figured that out after reading all the previous threads on this site. Not happy! I will be getting back to them, and Subaru America as well. What doesn't seem to be clear from this thread is whether replacing the battery with a heftier one will make a difference if there is this parasitic draining going on. The dealer did the required software updates but that didn't make a difference. I understand that there may be some class action suits in progress. Does anyone out there have any further info. on that?

245,985

All cars use a certain amount of power when not running due to the electronics. The undersized battery that Subaru uses is not enough.

460

My 2013 Outback has been in service at 2 different dealerships over almost 2 years for a total of 17+ weeks as they "attempted" to fix the ongoing dead battery issue. FINALLY - it MIGHT be fixed. After 5 new batteries (no help) and a completely new CPU unit (didn't help) they installed a completely new dash cluster ($$$). My problem always occurred after my car sat at airports for 3 nights or more. I have now had three trips where my car started! Not saying it is positively corrected but do NOT let them keep telling you it's the battery, or the lights left on yada yada... I opened a case with subaru America last February after fighting it for months with 2 different dealers. My case worker at Subaru of America heard from me constantly, as did the dealership until finally they started replacing the expensive stuff and I now MIGHT have a fix. Godd Luck - Do NOT give in!

Update to my post. I did call Subaru America and was given a case number. They called my dealer and I did, as well. Brought the car in and left if so it could be fully analyzed (battery, electrical system, etc.) Lo and behold I was called after one day and was told that the battery was defective and that there was no indication of "parasitic battery drain". Battery was replaced with a more "powerful" one and given a clean bill of health. No charge to me as a "goodwill" gesture. I did get a follow up call from both the dealer and Subaru America. So far the car is behaving properly. I also, just to be safe?, bought a Faraday box on Amazon that I keep in the car and instructed our garage (we live in an apartment building with an indoor garage) staff to always keep the keys in the box. All my research online seemed to point to the reality that keeping the keys in that box would (might?) help prevent any battery drain. For a small price perhaps another helpful step. I will post a further update.