I have bought 2017 Subaru Forester 2.0 XT Touring about 2 months back. I have been getting headaches and light headedness when I turn on the heating or air. It has been 2 months and no improvement. Any suggestion if anyone else also getting the same symptoms

Asked by Oct 26, 2016 at 12:13 AM about the 2017 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring

79,335

Air the car out really well. That new car smell is somewhat toxic to sensitive people. Make sure you don't have the recirculated air on so that you are getting fresh air in.

70,815

Also, just to be safe, have the exhaust system looked at. If there's a leak carbon monoxide could be getting into the passenger's compartment through the heat/air conditioning system. You may not be able to smell it. But if you are sensitive to it you may get a headache. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful

Thanks for the replies. In the past 16 years I have always bought new cars but never a Subaru. Most of the new cars have a new car smell which generally goes away with time but it never ever bothered me with other cars in the past. But after we got the Subaru Forester I would get leather or may be shoe polish kind of smell which would stay in my clothes and body including my breath. But it turned really ugly when it was slightly cold here and I turned on my heater. I came home and now I started getting headaches and lightheadedness. To rule out it was not me only I told my wife and my son to test drive. They never drove this car before. My wife came back with the same conclusion that her head is getting like a pressure feeling. Worst that she had to stop the car and tell my son to sit on the back seat because the a/c vent made him nauseated. At this point I decided to take the car back to the dealer. They didn't find anything wrong and referred me to Subaru tech team. I am waiting to hear from them. In the mean time I googled and found to my utmost surprise that on the website of carhealth in 2007 they found the 10 best and 10 worst cars with toxic fumes from the plastic parts and Subaru Forester was one of the 10 worst. No other Subaru model was listed. I don't know if they have done anything to improve on those materials. I have been driving with windows down and not turning heat at all. Also I keep it on fresh air. I also bought a CO detecter but have used it only for 20 minutes and want to keep it in the car at least for 1 hour while the car is running and windows closed to see if it shows anything. I am just so scared to drive because of health issues it is causing now. The car is on lease for 3 years and I don't know what to do if they don't take it back. I am waiting to hear from Subaru. Any advice is highly appreciated Jay

6,885

Spooky.. hope you find a solution quickly.

20

I have been thinking that something terrible was going on with my throat and esophagus because I have had chronic issues with dull pain, difficulty swallowing and tightness in my chest for 3 months, gradually getting more noticeable and worse. I felt it a lot in my new car 2017 Subaru Forester, however never made the connection. I thought I was having an allergic reaction to my coffee or soy milk. This kept persisting so I made a doctors appointment thinking the worst. This past Monday I had quantum bio feedback done, a process that can easily measure and identify all chemical imbalances in the body. Within 5 minutes it was identified that my bodiy was having a severe reaction to the exposure to the toxins in synthetic fibers and rubber. My throat, and epiglottis were severely inflamed, working desperately to fight off the irritants. I bought my car on January 31st and have spent a great deal of time driving. Currently I have 6000 miles on my car. I also built a new condo and moved in last year February 2016 Holy fright, my new home and especially my new car are making me sick! Thank God for bio feedback! I have purchased a Volara Air Purifier for my new home and am using in the car. This air purifier uses high level technology created for space stations - within 3 days 90% of my symptoms are gone. Next, I will be considering a different car....that's too scary.

Did you get all weather mats? I know those have warnings on them about the smell the omit. Maybe get rid of those or clean them off very well?