2003 Mazda B3000, cruise control switches, do I order Ford Ranger parts?

Asked by Jul 09, 2016 at 03:57 PM about the 2003 Mazda B-Series Truck 2dr Regular Cab B3000 Dual Sport

I need to replace the cruise control switches on my 2003 Mazda B3000 which are located on the steering wheel. I am very confused about what parts to order. I am not able to find the parts for a Mazda and I keep coming up with buying Ford Ranger parts for my Mazda. The part I believe I have to order is Motorcraft SW 5928 which is for a 2003 Ford Ranger. Can anyone verify if that is the correct part number for my Mazda B3000. I just bought this truck from the original owner with 97,000 miles on it and it is in great shape, very well taken care of but the cruise control switches are in terrible shape. The cruise control works as it should but the covering on the switches is nearly gone. I have spent hours on the computer trying to figure out if the Ford parts are what I need to order, I am very frustrated at this time. Can anyone head me in the right direction, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

UPDATE: I ordered the Motorcraft SW5928 with the wiring harness and it was exactly what I needed so it was the right switch for my 2003 Mazda, B3000. As other people have noted, unplugging the wiring from the switches is very difficult. I was a mechanic many years ago and still do all my own work on my 1967 Camaro RS/SS so I am not a novice with mechanical or electrical work. With that said, what a bear it is to get the connector out of the switch. Here is what I did, I did not replace the original wiring so the wiring that came with the switches was set aside. I finally removed the connector's from the new switches with a lot of time and patience, instead of going through the same frustration with the old switches I decided to explore and use a razor blade to cut the old damaged rubber from the top of the switches in the vehicle, with that done, there is a small tab, top and bottom that hold the circuit board to the case of the switch, press the tabs in and use needle nose pliers to remove the circuit board, with the circuit board out the connector just falls away. The circuit board is the male end and the connector is the female end for the electrical connection. Install the new switch with the two Phillips screws, push in the female electrical connector and your done except putting the rest of the parts back on you took apart for the disassemble. Here is what I learned, chances are the wiring that connects the cruise switches will be good, the fight is working the connectors out of the switches, I eliminated the fight with the damaged switches with the use of a razor blade by cutting away all the top of the switch exposing a small circuit board held in place by two tabs, push the tabs in and remove the switch with needle nose pliers, the switch just pulls away from the connector and literally comes out easy, piece of cake. If I ever had to replace the cruise switches again I would purchase the switches "without" the wiring so I would not have to fight getting the connectors out of the new switches and just do a basic, simple install. Hope this information will help someone in the future so they do not have to fight the removal of the connectors from the switches.