my shifter will not allow me to shift out of park

Asked by Dec 21, 2013 at 06:40 PM about the 1999 Ford Contour 4 Dr SE Sedan

after starting car and pressing brake pedal my button will not depress to allow me to shift out of park

345

I'm not an expert for any car but that sounds like either a failed or loose brake pedal switch, which is located behind the brake pedal. It should be a small rectangular block with a button that is depressed when you hit the brakes. There should be two nuts you can loosen and adjust so that the brake pedal will fully depress the button when you hit the brakes. Before you try to adjust anything, try to depress the button by hand. If you can't, replace the switch (pretty easy). If you can depress the button, do that by hand and try to start the car. If it does not turn over, replace the switch. If the switch is bad, the brake lights won't work either. If the car does start and the brake lights come on when you manually depress the brake switch, then you need to adjust the switch so that the brake pedal fully depresses the button when you hit the brakes.