1999 ford contour was running aftet replacing fuel pump now it will crank but will not start...

50

Asked by Mar 16, 2013 at 09:26 AM about the 1999 Ford Contour 4 Dr LX Sedan

90,085

Check the fuel line for pressure. Can you hear the new fuel pump run? Why did you change it if the engine was running?

see item 1? That is where you can check it as TS suggested

click image

50

It was stalled for awhile before i replaced the fuel pump...the old fuel pump had alot of water in it....then it crank right up with the new one....now it wont start..tan for a week

50

It ran for a week......now seems like i cant get it to start ....

Anita remind me to not piss you off. Anyway, if the pump had water in it then you probably have water in the tank now, a good possibility that is what the problem is

50

OK ......what should I do..would water stabilizer...work?

If there is not too much water, an alcohol based additive will help remove it. The alcohol will mix with the water and burn through, as the water will not mix with the gas but sink to the bottom, where the fuel pick~up is

Best Answer
50

What's a name of an alcohol base additive....the best u know of?

The generic store brands are fine. The factory(s) make one and put different labels on them, no need to pay for, say, Prestone or whatever. Read the label and make sure it is specifically water remover, not like injector cleaner or something. It probably won't say 'alcohol' on the label as it's not required to list ingredients like food products.

Except do NOT but it at the dollar store, they do sell it there but you don't know what's in those. Spend a few bucks to be safe at a parts house.

50

OK.......thanks a lot......u been very helpful

My pleasure.

18,525

a lot of water like a i/3 cup,thats too much for normal a closed system .get a gas cap, or someone is pissing in the tank at the gym damnit

50

@ jimmy....lol